Notes From Nature Talk

No record of participation

• sirleebutler by sirleebutler

In addition to the above mentioned problems of getting the same record over and over (despite entering the record more than once), I am also having the problem that my number of transcribed records keeps resetting to zero. I'm worried that my work isn't being sent to the database.

Posted

• areinders by areinders

Same issue here.

Posted

• mm-7301tlen.pl by mm-7301tlen.pl

I've the same problems

Posted

• okopho by okopho

And the same here.

The Zooniverse Project Page does show the correct total, though.

Posted

• dolphiny21 by dolphiny21

same here, Firefox 20.0.1

Posted

• Angel_48 by Angel_48

All my transcriptions are resetting to zero also, I am using Win 7 64 bit. IE 9.

thanks Karin

Posted

• secondplanet by secondplanet

The same with my transcriptions. Hope these made were saved.

Posted

• theneis by theneis

I just spent the better part of 2 hours doing 70 records and it shows nothing.

Posted

• SafariLiz by SafariLiz

Yes, I've been downgraded to zero twice. I thought I was being logged out, but that wasn't the issue.
    This process does take a lot of time; it would be a shame if the work were being lost.

Posted

• jamac41 by jamac41

Whilst the record at the top right resets each time you leave the classification screen, if you go to your Notes From Nature profile page (not the forum one, but http://www.notesfromnature.org/#/profile), it does show the number of records you have transcribed. Note that you may need to refresh for it to fully update, and that it doesn't distinguish between collections.

Posted

• theneis by theneis

Yeah, it still shows that I did 0 transcriptions. It's very disappointing.

Posted

• SafariLiz by SafariLiz

It shows the ones I did today, but not the ones I did yesterday.

Posted

• Janet_Jaguar by Janet_Jaguar

I'm using Chrome on Windows7. And I have been given 0 credit for the data I've recorded. To avoid being constantly looped, I've been hitting "OK" which automatically sends me to the next sample. But I'm shown as a zero participant on the NfN counter, on the above listed profile page, and on the Zooniverse main page. When the interface passes me on to the next sample, it is erasing my work - and giving zero warning boxes that this is happening.

Posted

• firepig by firepig

I'm pleased to see I'm not the only one being reset at each session! At least the totals seem correct (luckily I don't care too much about badges).

Posted

• AllysonWeeks by AllysonWeeks

I have done so many records and none of them are recorded. I get kicked off and have to log in over and over while not getting any reward badges. There seems to be no way to say "I'm done transcribing" that doesn't involve being logged out and having all the input data erased

Posted

• SafariLiz by SafariLiz

It's still not registering all entries. I did 12 yesterday, logged in, and they're not showing on my profile.
    I'm not concerned for my vanity, but I don't want to do the work and it's not recorded.

Posted

• reddder by reddder in response to secondplanet's comment.

The 100 entries that I've made over the past 2 days have not been reflected in my 'numbers. That is a mild annoyance. However, what I'm mainly concerned about is that the data is not being transmitted and that I'm just wasting my time. I would like some assurance that the info is reaching its destination.

Posted

• marcelv by marcelv

I did 9 records today and it shows only one record. I see a lot of people reporting the same type of issues. But I do not see any entries from the project administrator acknowledging that there is a problem!!

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson

My "entries transcribed" number seems to be accurate, but the timeline under "A transcriber's life" is very sketchy, in terms of days and items.

Posted

• reddder by reddder

I just wish the 'management' would wake up & address these issues of what is happening to our work. I could care less about badges & numbers, but I'm very reluctant to continue this effort [which I enjoy] unless someone can tell me if it constitutes a usable product.

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson in response to ghewson's comment.

the timeline under "A transcriber's life" is very sketchy, in terms of days and items.

Now my timeline says that 31 minutes ago I transcribed 6 items. Er, no, I didn't. I wasn't even logged in.

A comment I read a couple of days ago made me think that maybe people's records are getting mixed up. Now I'm even more suspicious.

Posted

• nosenabook by nosenabook

The record of my activities is not as messed up as some, but it's a long way from right. I just realized that the profile page is supposed to be a lot more detailed than it is. It would be so cool if it were up to spec, but it really doesn't matter. I feel pretty sure my specimens are being recorded because of the total number showing on the profile page.
    Windows 7, 64 bit, Firefox latest version.

Posted

• reddder by reddder

I think that it is very disrespectful that the management can't be bothered to reply to the legitimate questions raised by participants concerning what is happening to the work that they have done and presumably submitted. Laughingly, I just realized that I have never had any information recorded on my timeline. If not now, when? If not you, than who?

Posted

• Del_Congdon by Del_Congdon

I also am not being credited for the work I've done. Have just read through these comments and I have to say that I have lost confidence in this project - especially as I have seen NO responses from the project about this. No more transcriptions from me.

Posted

• Indigo_Horse by Indigo_Horse

If you want to see what you've done, go to the main Zooniverse website, then go to your profile and click on 'Projects'. It says how many classifications you've done in different projects.

Posted

• reddder by reddder

In response to Indigo Horse: the data on the Zooniverse website is as incorrect as the project's stats. Would it kill somebody '

Posted

• reddder by reddder

The Zooniverse main website stats for me are as incorrect as those at the project site. Would it kill 'someone in the know' to address our questions?

Posted

• Indigo_Horse by Indigo_Horse

Really? It only shows your personal transcription/classifications, and it seems to be right on track for me.

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson

I sympathise with the above comments. ISTM the presence of administrators and scientists has been quite patchy, and many bug reports and suggestions go unremarked upon.

I also notice that the rate of increase of total transactions has declined markedly since the first week of the project.

Posted

• xairbusdriver by xairbusdriver

The rate of transcriptions, or whatever the work might be called in the various Zooniverse projects, probably naturally peaks in the first couple of weeks. The "new" wears off, problems/annoyances appear, people have short
    atten...

And I doubt that the software is very easy to set up, otherwise, the complaints would be getting corrected. Of course, the lack of replies doesn't help but that may be simply because the 'admins' are busy enough with their academic duties/studies already. They may be busy with finals about now, also.

Posted

• rusalka by rusalka

I have the correct number of transcribed samples, but the awards page does not show the correct number of
    entries. I hope and assume that the replies have been recorded.

Posted

• reddder by reddder in response to rusalka's comment.

Again, isn't it amazing that the gods do not deign to reassure us that all is well.

Posted

A question for all users: When you start classifying, does your user name show anywhere on the page? In every other page, ether your user name and/or a message icon shows. But as soon as I enter the specimen page nothing remains showing I am logged in.

Reason I'm asking is that yesterday, I classified at two different times. My reported specimens increased by exactly two even though I actually classified over 30 specimens. Coincidence? Or another problem with the site keeping up with my log in status?

I'm going to test this theory by doing three separate 'sessions' today and see if my 'count' increases by three, also. Of course, the problem doesn't appear to be universal, suggesting that it may be OS/hardware related. idunno...

Pictures at Ten!

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson

No, my name doesn't show in Herbarium or Calbug.

Posted

• stewjack by stewjack in response to marcelv's comment.

I have the same problem. I can not get more than transcription to remain after logging out. I can get every item counted IF I log out and back-in after each transcription.
    I have tried refreshing the main Zoonverse page but that does not solve the problem for me. I can accept that other people are not experiencing my problem. I remember that it worked fine for about two days. I did about 5 transcriptions and then logged out. All transcriptions were counted! It also worked fine the second day with about 8 transcriptions, giving me a total.of about 12. However when I came back a few days lated I lost all but one of my transcriptions. It has remained like that.
    NOTE I only transcribe CALBUG.

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin in response to stewjack's comment.

This has been a persistent problem and I think the Zooniverse developers have managed to squash this particular bug today. Please do let us know! In order to solve this bug, I believe that you will get badges in a bushell if you have done the transcriptions. This seemed like the right solution --- not resetting the work you have done.

Posted

• Pict by Pict

Hooray, I now got my Calbug badges. 😃 All three at once (funnily enough, my profile page thing shows me getting the butterfly badge before the caterpillar badge 😉 )

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson

I don't have any Calbug badges, and I've done a few. How many transcriptions go towards each badge? I've never seen any mention of them.

Posted

Ha! Of course, the first thing I did now, visiting the Calbug page, was to scroll down instead of clicking on Transcribe. I should certainly have a Caterpillar badge then, and probably a Butterfly.

Posted

... and they all turned up the second I completed my first transcription today.

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson

Every time I complete the first transaction in a collection, I'm now told I've collected a set of badges (the same badges I've collected before). This doesn't just happen once in a login session -- if, for example, I log in and complete a Herbarium record, I get the badges; if I then complete a Calbug record I'll get the Calbug badges; if I then go back to Herbarium (and the count in the top right resets to zero) and complete another record, I yet again get the Herbarium badges.

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin

Ha ok let me check and see what is going there!

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson in response to robgur's comment.

Thanks, now fixed.

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin in response to ghewson's comment.

GREAT! 😃

Posted

• reddder by reddder

Well, I was happy to see a total figure of records processed on my work page. It's missing a couple of hundred, but it's a start. Today, my total is 50 pgs less than when I logged off yesterday.

Posted

• bum24 by bum24

The number on the work page should be scoped to that particular collection. So if you are working on a Herbarium record, it will give the number of Herbarium records you have done, not the total across all collections. If you still believe it is inaccurate, I can look into it.

Posted

I was shocked, SHOCKED to see that, after several days absence, I was unable to log into Notes from Nature yesterday!!! How dare you cancel my paid subscription! 8-P I could sign into several other Zooniverse Projects, however! Strange.

I checked all my add-ons/extensions. No changes that I could see. No changes I made made any difference. Tried three different browsers, same results in all three. Oh well, must be a server problem.

Same problem today! I hope everyone hasn't left the building for the weekend! Turns out Mr. A. Smith is still working. I described the problem and relayed lots of my system info. That's when I noticed that a cookie had been blocked in Chrome. Not one from the main site, but I could not determine its domain/source. I block all third-party cookies unless I know there is a need for them.

Long story short, Mr. Smith suggested I whitelist "api.zooniverse.org" in my cookies list. WOW! What a difference! I now see my total transcriptions instead of just the ones I'm working on. I now have the proper badge. I'm remaining logged in when I check my profile as well as when I move to these forums. Who knows what other niceties I'll see?!

I'm aware that some of these things are separate from that cookie, but you might try whitelisting it, anyway, and see if it helps some of the display problems some of us had.

Thanks again, Arfon! And the Admins here, also. :salute:

Posted

• lcotavieira by lcotavieira

My record number does not reset to zero, but it is always the same, no matter how many more records I make.

Posted

• tmeconverse by tmeconverse

My problem is exactly the same of icotaviera. I also don't know if my work is counting for anything, since my transcriptions have been stuck at 112 for the last two weeks, even though I've done 30 or so. Please let me know if somewhere there is an indication that my transcriptions have been entered in the system. I don't really care about the badges but I don't want my work to be wasted.

Please advise.

Regards,

Posted

I was having similar problems of not having my transcriptions recorded, etc. I switched to using Mozilla/Firefox as my browser and all these issues simply disappeared. The movement from field to field became much more seamless and consistent, and the capture of my transcriptions occurs without a hitch.

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson in response to tmeconverse's comment.

What was your previous browser, out of interest?

Posted

• bumishness by bumishness admin in response to ghewson's comment.

I would also be very interested in knowing this.

Posted

I was using Internet Explorer before. I've had no trouble since I switched to Mozilla several days ago.

Posted