Notes From Nature Talk

Calbug Bugs & Enhancements

• DZM by DZM admin

We're trying to consolidate all the bugs and enhancements needed/wanted for each project into one place, so that the new developer will be able to address as many as possible once he/she begins work.

Please post anything that needs to be done, or you would like to be done, to Calbug, in this thread. Copy/pastes of old posts are more than welcome.

Please be as clear as possible about exactly what sort of error is happening, and/or what the enhancement will do. Thank you!

Posted

• biggsjrex by biggsjrex

I did CalBug transcriptions for almost a year with no problems, and completed 20,597 transcriptions. Then about 2 months ago, I logged in and completed one transcription. The counter went to 20,598, and I got the Thanks message, but then CalBug would not present a second image. When I logged out and came back later, the count was back at 20,597. I have tried transcribing 6-7 times in the last 2 months, but the same thing happens. I've posted this problem several times, but no solution.

Posted

• Mikerollem by Mikerollem

Looking at Bonnie123's list of questions makes me think I'm providing nowhere near what is required. I've never even thought of putting male or female, or if the label shows a different scientific name than what is shown on the record, or who the specimen is donated by, or who detemined the Scientific name and when etc, etc, etc.

A: "We hope to capture all of the data on the labels, but do not want to discourage our citizen scientists. Use your discretion. by poboyski SCIENTIST"

Telling us to use our discretion is unscientific - I want to know exactly what data you want.

Mike

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I definitely want to organize the Talk discussion by project. That will actually be very easy to do. 😃 But right now I'm holding off on doing anything until we can get our new dev on board and get him/her familiar with the code.

I'm not promising anything, because it's not my department, but the NFN may have him/her working by the end of this month. Here's hoping!

Posted

• helenactyi by helenactyi

I keep having a recurring issue where the program gives me the wrong picture with the classification information. I'm able to see the correct picture by going to the "Discuss" screen, so I input data based on that. I hope that's the right thing to do? Also, I'm not sure if I'm the only one with that issue.

Posted

• jmkwon by jmkwon

Just a small quality of life suggestion. The recent change that brought zoom in/out to Calbug is great, but the change also now seems to force the user to manually click in the box before typing in data. If this feature could be closer to what it was a few days ago (being able to immediately type data and tab between elements w/o clicking), I think it would be a small quality of life improvement for some of us.

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin in response to jmkwon's comment.

Agree. I noticed the same problem and reporting it to our developer, Rafe.

Posted

• poboyski by poboyski scientist in response to Mikerollem's comment.

Although I am late in replying, I think your question is still relevant and important. We had a long discussion at the beginning of both the CalBug project and the Notes from Nature (NfN) project about what information to capture. For CalBug (ie. for the Entomology Museum) we want ALL the information on the label. When developing NfN we wanted to streamline data entry to just the essential information of where, when, and who, so that our citizen scientists would not get too bogged down on any one specimen. The compromise was to add the "Other Information" field to capture things like elevation, trapping method, etc. We also noted that some of this "other" information is not found consistently on our labels. So it seemed confusing to have fields for Elevation, Latitude, and Longitude, when that information was rarely on our labels.

Data we DO NOT need people to transcribe are the genus and species names, and the catalog numbers (we capture those when we take the pictures). Everything else we do want. If there is not a field for something, it goes into the Other Information field. Personally, I think our citizen scientists are perfectly capable and happy to fill out all data fields, even for data that are rarely found on labels. But the user interface would be cumbersome and there would be a need to Skip a lot (the inefficiency of which might make people unhappy).

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin in response to jmkwon's comment.

I think we got that fixed, @kmkwon. Let us know.

Posted

• USACitizenScience by USACitizenScience

Just started and have done a few hundred transcriptions. The number that is credited is more than I have done. Also, I have not received any badges. Are my transcriptions making it to the database? Thanks and well done designing this project.

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

Transcription numbers have been known to go funny in the past. Try clearing your cookies... seemed to fix it for me.

Posted

• USACitizenScience by USACitizenScience in response to HelenBennett57's comment.

Thanks!

Posted

• reddder by reddder in response to USACitizenScience's comment.

I had the same troubles logging onto cal-bug expeditions. cleared my cache 7 cookies -- still no luck. The program recognizes me, but tells me to sign in again when i attempt to transcribe. Unfortunately, I can not sign in -- the process just freezes. I certainly hope this gets fixed pronto as I am addicted to this project.

Posted

• LLITTL by LLITTL

Right now none of the Notes from Nature sites will display. I can log in but no slides appear.

Posted

• md68135 by md68135 scientist in response to LLITTL's comment.

It is back up now. Thanks so much for the report!

Posted