Notes From Nature Talk

Country Listing

• parrottgreg by parrottgreg

Can the countries be listed in order of frequency? North American countries used to be at the top, but now they are alphabetical. Was way quicker to get through a record before the alpha order.

Posted

• darryluk by darryluk

I guess newer transcribers might have a job working out where a country is. Alphabetical is most generally accepted, and if you hit the initial of the country it jumps straight there on the pull down.

Posted

That's still slower than what it was. I could understand if the collections were evenly distributed, but I've only encountered maybe four countries in my efforts to date over about 30 records.

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin

I see the point of having the most common countries (US, Mexico, Costa Rica etc) at top. Let me see if we can make this happen.

Posted

Thanks. Not a big deal if you can't, but it would knock a little time off each one.

Posted

• bumishness by bumishness admin

darryluk surmised it correctly in that the reason we made it all alphabetical is because people were having trouble finding the country when they went to look for it in alphabetical fashion.

That said, I definitely understand veteran transcribers would want the common countries one click away.

I'm open to feedback on how we could structure it to reach a common middle ground.

Posted

• darryluk by darryluk

I think we should have USA at the top of the list, with, say, Mexico next then Costa Rica. Maybe leave the rest in alphabetical order.

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson in response to bumishness's comment.

We could repeat the names, having the USA and Mexico and at the top, then a divider, then all the countries (including the USA and Mexico) in alphabetical order. Please both camps then.

Posted