Notes From Nature Talk

Badges not being awarded

• acather96 by acather96

So far, I've only being awarded the Seed Badge but have transcribed 40 entries (over 25 in the Herbarium). Any ideas, and is anyone else having a similar problem?

Posted

• Jwb52z by Jwb52z

I think there's a bug where you have to do that number of transcriptions in one session to get the badges instead of cumulative.

Posted

• happy5214 by happy5214

I did 11 transcriptions in one session and still didn't get the Seedling Badge.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB

Could we have a guide on how or when badges are rewarded ?
    And while I'm at it : How do you post a new topic ?

Posted

• leahlarkin by leahlarkin

Ideally, the system should maintain an on-going tally of our transcriptions, but that doesn't seem to be happening. If I transcribe one specimen, then come to the discussions and go back the the collection, I start over at zero. This will be a HUGE demotivator for your volunteers, because they will like to see how much they've contributed and compete with one another.

Also, if I look under my profile, there's no record of which entries I've done. I'd love to be able to look back on my transcriptions.

It would also be great if there was some way to flag mistakes to be fixed.

Posted

• acather96 by acather96

Completely agree

Posted

• xairbusdriver by xairbusdriver

I'd like to have another 'badge' called "Weed" for people like me who post too much! 😉

OTOH, the 'badge' awarding is the least important feature for me. I'd rather they work on keeping us logged in even when we switch to the Forums. And have the "Return to Classifying" actually do that instead of to the 'home' page. Oh well, I suspect it is the software they are working with; like WordPress is not very malleable, this off-the-shelf code may not be, either. The settings for all these things may be somewhere, but the Geeks who designed it may not make using/finding those settings very intuitive. 😦

Posted

• SandersClan by SandersClan

I agree with all of this. Also, I wonder if something in the program doesn't recognize our transcriptions as complete (as far as badges are concerned) if we have to leave fields blank. I haven't had a single object yet in Bugs that hasn't required me to leave at least one field blank.

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin

Yeah these are really good points. We have been working on all cylinders to get to the point where we could make Notes from Nature happen, and hopefully now some improvements can get worked into the system. We'll keep pushing for them, and I know the Zooniverse folks, although swamped, want this to happen too.

Posted

• nosenabook by nosenabook

robgur, thanks for the encouragement.
    I just noticed that my badges are not awarded beyond the first one. Not a problem, except they were promised! I am glad to see this is a known issue (and not just me).
    I like knowing how many plants I have entered into the database per session. It would be even nicer to see the total, too. In the meantime I check my profile page for that number.

Posted

• jlsoenneker by jlsoenneker

I've been dealing with the loss of state when going from transcribing to discussing by opening the discussion page in a separate tab when desired. (Right-click the "Discuss" link and select "Open in a New Tab" or similar.)

My badges are also not awarded past the first one. I've only left blank fields in a handful and am past 80 transcriptions total, so that's not the cause.

Posted

ok we got badges showing up on Calbugs yesterday and now hoping we can get the badge collecting issue sorted too. Its at least a ticket thats been submitted. Will let you all know if a fix gets done here!

Posted

I think this is maaaybe fixed, according to Zooniverse folks. But the problem is that it might not be "fixed" to re-count effort so that you won't get one for the records you already did. Checking on that!

Posted

But the problem is that it might not be "fixed" to re-count effort so
    that you won't get one for the records you already did.

Well, that's one way to 'encourage' more work! LOL! :]

I've still not come across what the requirements for each level are. <100 = Seed? >99 < 1,000 = ? Right now, I can't even see the three Badges. :head bash: Oh well, time to get back to transcribing!!!

Posted

It looks different already. Can't tell if the badges will appear, not done enough work to day.

Posted

• xairbusdriver by xairbusdriver in response to xairbusdriver's comment.

Maybe you need to wear your glasses?! The requirements are on the first Herbarium page. Actually, unless someone has started last weekend, everyone is probably well past the "Sprout" Badge (only need 25 records). With requirements that low, not sure what the point of the Badge is. 😃 Oh well...

Posted

I just noticed I got a new badge! It's an oak!
    It's silly how much pleasure this gives me. Thanks.

Posted

I got a new badge! It's an Oak!

Great! How many records did you do to get that? The 'home' page still shows only the "Seed", "Seedling" and "Sprout" badges. Weirder and weirder? 8)

None too accurate and probably delayed a little (updated at midnight?). I had 108 last week sometime. Done 10 at a time several days this week and 20 just today, but my count only shows 114. :rolleyes: I notice a large number of "2 days ago" in many places around the forums, perhaps the counts aren't updated even daily. Idunno.

Posted

Fortunately I have not noticed how many transcriptions I have completed each session, so I do not know if my total is correct. It was something over two hundred when the new badge appeared.

Posted

• Pict by Pict

Over 400 transcriptions done (in Calbug), still no Calbug badges....

Posted

• nosenabook by nosenabook in response to Pict's comment.

250 plants gets an Oak Tree.

Yikes! 400 bugs should have something rather spectacular - a golden lamp?

Posted

• Anaclaudia by Anaclaudia

I have only 127 bugs... If 400 bugs didn't get a badge, how many bugs do we need to do?

And I agree it's important that we can see the transcripts we've already done.

Posted

• riskingraisin by riskingraisin

I agree that it would be nice if you could return directly to classifying after making a comment.

Posted

• Indigo_Horse by Indigo_Horse

I did ten bugs and got a caterpillar badge... don't know how/if you can access it, though.

Posted

• Pict by Pict in response to Indigo Horse's comment.

I still havent received a single Calbug badge... I guess those of us that joined early are getting "punished" for doing so... rolls eyes

Posted

• Indigo_Horse by Indigo_Horse

Oy! I joined only about five minutes after I got the email! Oh, and I just got the Butterfly badge, too....

Posted

• Anaclaudia by Anaclaudia

I just earned all the badges! Finally 😄

Posted

• SandersClan by SandersClan

Congrats! 😃

Posted

The badges do not seem to be arriving in a timely way even now. I was thrilled to get a new one when I transcribed a bug, but now I'm up to 57 bugs with one more badge - seems like a couple are missing. Not a major issue, but it does tickle me to look at them.

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin in response to nosenabook's comment.

Let me check with the Zooniverse people! We hoped that this problem was fixed.

Posted

That will be fun - for me! thanks!

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson in response to robgur's comment.

I've just been awarded the complete set of plant badges again... again. And, as someone else noted a while ago, I have negative numbers on my "transcriber's life".

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin in response to ghewson's comment.

will post an issue and see if we can get that fixed.

Posted

You know, that would be nice. That's a nifty little gadget, the Transcriber's Life, or it would be if it worked. But it doesn't work at all!

Posted

Just got the Butterfly badge, after finishing Calbug Transcription #101. A popup showed in the upper right hand of my screen. That was fun.

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson in response to ghewson's comment.

And I've just been awarded the complete set of insect badges again... again.

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson in response to ghewson's comment.

And now, again.

Posted

• CTidwell3 by CTidwell3

Were there other awards that were planned for in the past, but never implemented? If so, maybe some of that code is causing this repeat badges bug. I got all 3 insect badges again (for maybe the second or third time) just a few minutes ago when I finished transcription # 501 combined (both bug and plant). Was # 475 for Calbug.

Only other thing that happened prior to that was that I clicked the upper right button (stop button) after finishing # 474, checked the discussion boards, then came back and did #475 when I was awarded the badges again.

Posted

I will post an issue to our code repository and see if we can resolve this. Obviously we still have some kinks to work out!

Posted

So has anybody got a bird badge? If so, what is it?

Posted

An egg? An empty nest?

Posted

• ammatsun by ammatsun

I just finished an Ornithological transcription (whole page) and nothing was credited into my account.

Posted

• ZoStockdale by ZoStockdale

It doesn't look like the Ornithological transcrptions are crediting to accounts as I have done a couple of pages, and had nothing credited either.

Posted

• Silene by Silene

I too have been transcribing birds but my profile credits only 2 transcriptions.

Posted