Notes From Nature Talk

illegible in Calbug

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

sometimes a letter is completely obscured by the pin or otherwise illegible. Do you have a convention for that, such as substituting ? or space or X for the missing letter(s) or should we omit it? e.g. Po?ell or PoXell or Po ell

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin

Yeah we don't - but let me ask the CalBug folks what they suggest!

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

What we (er... I.. heh) usually do is transcribe it as best as can be (internet lookup to try to determine the missing letter) flag the record by hitting Discuss giving it a hashtag (ie #unclear, #error) so it will be reviewed when the concurrence is done and note what it was transcribed as so others will do similarly for concurrence.

Of course, now I'm curious to see if this is correct. :^)

Posted

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

I just came across one in which the third digit of the year was completely hidden, in fact pierced, by the pin. I skipped it. Thanks to your comment, Mr. Kevvy, I now see I could have used some arbitrary date with a note in the discuss field.

Posted

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

Rogbur, I'm getting pretty frustrated by the lack of "care and feeding" of volunteers on this site. It took a week to get any response to my posting. But better late than never! I look forward to hearing back from you.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Sorry for the delay, @Shiphrah --! We're trying hard to make sure that all questions get answered, but sometimes a few slip through the cracks.

If you ever don't get an answer, please re-ask, and someone will get to you.

Poke me if @robgur doesn't get back to you at some point!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I actually strongly agree. Would anyone like to help us curate a Notes from Nature FAQ?

It could be a locked thread here on Talk, and we could include a link from the classification interface, the way that we've done on Higgs Hunters. People there have reported it being strongly helpful, and it has cut down on the number of repeated, basic questions!

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy in response to DZM's comment.

Would anyone like to help us curate a Notes from Nature FAQ?

I would be interested.

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin

YES and we can post it as a blog posting. I'd like to. @Mr. Kevvy @DZM

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

Totally agree about having an FAQ. I've been adding occasionally to my older posts in the two threads 'transcription standards' and 'some useful tools'; it'd be a nuisance if an FAQ was locked.

What would 'help to curate' entail? I'm cautiously interested.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Okay! So we have interest, from both users and our resident scientist... that's fantastic!

Probably the best way to put it together would be this: Start a new thread, and have people start posting what they think are the most common questions and answers. For instance:

What should I do when I encounter X in the Y?

It is common to encounter X in the Y when doing this project, and this
    can be confusing. Typically, we recommend that classifiers do Z,
    followed by the chicken dance and a summoning ritual...

Once we have enough questions and answers, one official curator will make a new locked thread that contains all of these FAQs, and we will link to it from the NfF classification interface. (A good example can be see at Higgs Hunters.) That curator will be responsible for updating the thread, so they will need to have moderator permissions so that they can unlock it to update it.

If you think this is a good idea, I can create the official thread for assembling FAQs. Let me know!

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

Yes please - I have some suggestions and so does Shiphrah.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

It looks like @Shiphrah has gone ahead and started it!

http://talk.notesfromnature.org/#/boards/BNN0000003/discussions/DNN00003mc

Posted