Notes From Nature Talk

Scientific Author field

• adonim by adonim

Hi !
    After looking at some records in the Herbarium Collection I wonder what to put into the field "Scientific author" as I can find only "Determined by" and "Collected by"...
    any advice?
    THAHANX

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson

The scientific author is usually abbreviated. Did you look at the example?

Posted

• xairbusdriver by xairbusdriver

Sometimes it is abbreviated to a single letter! How about "L."? Surely that's not Carl Linnaeus?! I've seen "Lam." many times, so it might just be his name shortened even more...

Posted

• xairbusdriver by xairbusdriver in response to xairbusdriver's comment.

Apparently, "L." is Carl! And "Lam." is Jean-Baptiste Lamarck (1744–1829). osteophagia was kind enough to post a link to a Wiki page with the abbreviations of maybe 1,000+ Botanists!

Posted

• lferfga by lferfga

Are we supposed to write it as is on the label ("L.") or to find the name and write it out ("Linnaeus")?

Posted

• bgpaulus by bgpaulus

Just my two cents: We're transcribing, so we should keep to a minimum the amount of interpreting we do; I'm not a botanist, so I'm inclined to enter exactly what it says (e.g., "L." or "Lam.") and let the professionals take it from there.

A related question: Is the name that sometimes follows the scientific author significant? For example, given "Zizia aurea (L.) Koch", is the scientific author just "L." (and "Koch" is simply the name of the person who made the determination) or should we include that "extra" name in the scientific author field (i.e., "(L.) Koch")?

Cheers!

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson

I think Koch, in this example, would have done follow-on work, so yes, write the scientific author just as shown.

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson

This Wikipedia article explains the author citation, at length. The "Multiple Parts" section explains the use of parentheses.

Posted