Notes From Nature Talk

Herbarium Bugs & Enhancements

• DZM by DZM admin

We're trying to consolidate all the bugs and enhancements needed/wanted for each project into one place, so that the new developer will be able to address as many as possible once he/she begins work.

Please post anything that needs to be done, or you would like to be done, to Herbarium, in this thread. Copy/pastes of old posts are more than welcome.

Please be as clear as possible about exactly what sort of error is happening, and/or what the enhancement will do. Thank you!

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Bug: Thread here: If the backend can't find any images for the transcriber to do in the current set because they already an entry in all/most of them, then it just presents a blank window and interface without saying why. This makes it appear to the transcriber as if their account is nonfunctional, as they can transcribe under another account or anonymously.
    This bug/omission is probably universal to all NFN projects but I have only demonstrated it for Herbarium.

Bug: Thread here: On pressing Enter to complete a transcription while in the Collection Date fields, the Year popup will open and persist until the next record is loaded. This makes the transcriber wonder if the year or even entire date wasn't captured.

Bug: Thread here: And, of course, Badges in the transcriber's profile have been broken for months and don't display. This is universal to NFN.

Feature: I can't remember where the thread on it went, but some people would really like a mutli-line interface for the text entry fields; I just OCR everything into a word processor for the spellcheck, but to each their own, and some of those labels have a lot of text in their Location and Habitat/Description field. I think I ideally this would be accomplished with an expanding/collapsing window toggled by a small icon at the corner of the entry field; this seems to be how UIs do it these days.

Feature: Thanks for the reminder, Helen. :^) ... knew there was one I was forgetting. Ditto on adding an indicator that the current specimen record being transcribed has a Discuss object comment. This is a great help for consensus so that if anything less than a glaring error is caught and documented then the one corrected transcription isn't overruled by three verbatims later. It will also save the transcriber's time and effort researching something that was already documented/corrected.

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

Date: be able to hit the Return key to enter the date. (date bug thread here). Same bug raised by Mr. Kevvy. I'm still certain the year isn't saved! This is totally irritating now that I've come back to the Herbarium from Ornithology, and keep forgetting and hitting it.

Record has discussion Flag in the UI if a record already has one or more pieces of discussion. Enhancement, suggested about halfway down this page. Benefit: this will make it easy to see when other people have identified problems or their solutions with the record.

Link to FAQ from UI please. Enhancement.

Posted

• jona5ironbax by jona5ironbax

Hello I am a teacher and work on an agricultural school in Argentina so tell me about all the diversity of plants and insects that are in the area. There are plants that I think should be studied in more detail because they have many medicinal properties.

Posted

• pnoell by pnoell

I cannot enlarge the image so that I can read it. I can drag it. (My monitor is set for 150% and I still cannot read the labels.)
    There are not a + - symbols on top left of the screen (even when screen is set at 100%).

Suggestions?

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni

Put your cursor on the image and click the left button once and let go. Slide the mouse around to move the image to where you want it. Scroll the mouse wheel away from you to make the image bigger, and scroll the mouse wheel towards you to make the image smaller. When you're satisfied with the result, click the left mouse button once and let go, and the image will 'freeze'. Of course you can repeat the process if you want to move the image or change the size again. (Sometimes once you enlarge enough to read the label, the entire label doesn't fit on the screen, if your monitor isn't very large.)

(This is what I do using Firefox on Windows. Don't know if it's the same on other browsers or Apple systems, but try it.)

Posted

• CharlesGardner by CharlesGardner

if you upsize the image of the specimen enough that it moves off the window there is no getting it back.. working on a 11 inch laptop I have to make some labels very large to see all the info. #window looses image if enlarged too many times

Posted

• CharlesGardner by CharlesGardner

#dataquestion. It would seem that #determinedBy would have been an important item, as well as #annotation count on the specimen. who determined the name may be important especially where it is a range extension and the number of annotations may indicate (a) revision of the specific species (b) means a difficult specimen to nail down.

Posted

• jbest by jbest

I've had a number of transcribers report a problem where two specimen images display at the same time but only one (I believe the one "behind" the other) can be moved and zoomed. I wasn't collecting detailed information when these were encountered so forgive my rough description. I can't remember if the movable image was the previously-finished image or the new image but I believe the new image was behind the other. The problem persists when the transcriber skips to the next image so the only way to fix this was to reload the page or start a new session. I saw this personally on Chrome and Firefox on Windows and Safari for Mac and had reports of the same issue on IE for Windows and another instance of Safari for Mac. I didn't see any pattern to the problem, but all the reports I have so far were during the WeDigBio blitz so perhaps a server load issue? I'll take better notes about the details next time I encounter it.

Posted

• jbest by jbest

If we report or have reported bugs/enhancements at GitHub, should we duplicate them here or link to them? If we report them here, should we also report at GitHub?

Posted

• micmac274 by micmac274

Two of the herbariums, both Florida ones, have the old bug where when you try to zoom on an image nothing happens and there is another image underneath that you can drag around with the mouse. You don't know which image you're meant to be cataloguing, so you end up turning it off and going to a herbarium that works. I think this is the reason for the low numbers on the Florida herbariums.

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni

This also happens to me occasionally for the SELU herbarium specimens - just happened now Sat 14 Nov 2014 approx 8.50 EST. In the past when this happened, there was at least one other person online in NfN so i thought there might be a bug that crossed up the work of multiple people, but this time I'm the only user online.

Also this morning, my counts are jumping around a bit, sometimes adding 2 when I finish a transcription and sometimes reverting back to the count I had when I logged in today.

Posted

• slogan3561 by slogan3561 in response to jbest's comment.

I have encountered the same problem. I believe the "back" record (behind the record shown on the screen) is a new record to be done, but I can't be sure. Has anyone responded to this problem? I just log out and log back in and usually it goes away, but sometimes I have to log in and out a couple of times to get it to stop. Thanks for any help.

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni in response to slogan3561's comment.

Hi @slogan3561. This problem of two images appearing at the same time has been experienced by several people. If you look around in the Help threads, you'll see other reports about it. It seems to come and go at random. You don't have to log off to make it stop. The simplest and quickest way around it is to just refresh the window (or tab) in your browser where the images are (usually Control-R or Apple-R works). That makes the double image disappear and a new single image appear.

Posted

• md68135 by md68135 scientist in response to am.zooni's comment.

@am.zooni is correct. Unfortunately our programmers still haven't found as easy fix for this.

Posted

• ThatKarenB by ThatKarenB

Enhancement request: The ability to edit the previous field. It is very easy to enter a blank answer on a given field, when I'd be happy to go back and add the correct info. At the moment I can only see the previous fields, not edit them.

(I didn't see a tutorial for the Herbarium project, only help windows at each field. If this is already possible, never mind!)

KB

ETA: Aha! After going through all the fields, I can go through them again -- and edit them this time. Leaving the post here for this very info.

Posted

• md68135 by md68135 scientist in response to ThatKarenB's comment.

Great! Glad you found.
    We are going to make those directions more obvious in the new version of NFN.

Posted

• lmhundley by lmhundley

I am experiencing the same issue as reported by jbest 5 months ago. I try to move or enlarge the top image and a second image is draggable with the mouse, appearing from behind the top image. I can't transcribe the top image (can't read data clearly) and although I can enlarge the 'behind' image, I am unsure that that is what is intended. What should be done in this case?

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni

Hi @lmhundley. If you get two images at once as you describe here, the simplest thing to do is refresh your browser window. Both of the overlapping images will disappear and you'll get a fresh single image. (The images that disappear will eventually be served up later so all images will eventually get transcribed.)

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni in response to ThatKarenB's comment.

Hi @ThatKarenB. Although it doesn't explain how to review and edit fields you've already entered or skipped (which you already figured out), there's lots of useful info and tips for the Herbarium project in this discussion thread: Request for guidelines on what issues to report and where to locate detailed instructions/tips.

Posted