Notes From Nature Talk

SOFTWARE APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN PUSHED AND HAS ZEROED BY COUNTS

• Bonnie123 by Bonnie123

I just logged back onto Zooniverse to find out that it appears some kind of software has been pushed that has ZEROED all of my counts for NFN in the NFN profile. My Zooniverse ribbon still shows my count at 2901 but within the NFN profile (this is not correct since it has only given be 16 for Ornithology since the count is messed up and it should be at least 740 instead of 16, not counting the 150+ rows that it did not count thanks to the evicting me from the system issue) I now have 0 for everything as if I never existed. Whatever is wrong in your system really needs to be fixed, and since it appears you have basically had no programming done for over a year with only getting minutes a month it is going to take you many many months to even begin to figure out what all is broken. Please pass on to the programmers that whatever they ran last night on Sunday 4/19/15 or this today 4/20/15 caused me a big issue within NFN.

It has also erased all of my items that I had marked to follow, both objects and discussions. Looks like somehow my account was deleted and then remade my account, makes me wonder how many other people accounts were deleted/zeroed.

I'll check back from time to time to see if this has been fixed, in the mean time I'll go work on something else, since my frustration is just too high working on NFN.

DZM: Sorry for taking out my frustrations on you, I realize you are just the messenger and can only do so much.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

I just tried logging out and back in and it's fine for me. So I would suggest logging out, clearing your browser history/cache/cookies/sessions (everything it lets you) and then restarting your browser. (I doubt a reboot would be required.)

Posted

• Bonnie123 by Bonnie123

@Mr. Kevvy: I cleared all the items as you suggested in both Chrome and Explorer and still my profile shows -0- in both browsers. So this did not fix my issue. Just wanted to say Thanks You for graciously trying to help us with our issues. Even though this did not fix my issue, I really do appreciate your attempt to help me.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

You're welcome. :^) I really hope they fix your profile then... geez. That is not good.

Posted

• Bonnie123 by Bonnie123

UPDATE: I just went in and did 2 in Science Gossip, it has changed my counts from something like 24 and now I only have 2. So it appears once I go into any of my other projects it is zeroing me and starting my count all over. Since I would prefer to not have my count go from 28,603 to -0- and get to start all over I will be staying out of Zooniverse projects that I have already worked on until someone lets me know that this has been fixed.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Everything that went wrong should now be fixed.

There was a major crash when we were trying to repair a couple of other things.

Is everything at least back to how it was before the crash?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Yes, I think something went wrong with a small subset of users who have participated in Condor Watch, including yourself.

We had to restore profiles from a backup so some stuff that was done yesterday isn't showing up. A bit of activity from yesterday might be missing, but the rest should all be fine now.

Other NFN issues are... as they are. I've put them into the GitHub repo and we'll see what we can do whenever the appropriate people get time!

Posted

• reddder by reddder in response to DZM's comment.

About 10 minutes ago, I fat-fingered an incorrect key & lost 37 transcriptions on Macrofungi. Since that time, my total has remained at 11,160. If this doesn't clear up, I guess I'll migrate to CALBUG again.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to dmbrgn's comment.

Lost 37 transcriptions? What happened? Are you saying that additional classifications that you do are no longer showing up in your profile?

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy in response to dmbrgn's comment.

You might try logging out and back in again... I've had my count get out of whack temporarily like that but doing this refreshes it to normal.

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni

Don't know if I'm having the same problem or not, but I just logged in with 114 transcriptions done (all SERNAC Herbarium), then did 6 transcriptions and my Id still shows 114 done. I signed out, cleared cache & cookies, closed browser, restarted brower, logged in, still see 114. I'm not particularly concerned with my count, but there does appear to be something odd going on. (Firefox 36.0.4 on Windows 7)

Posted

• biggsjrex by biggsjrex

I have been having a similar problem for over a month. When I log in to Calbug, I can do one transcription, and then the site refuses to present a second image. When I log out and come back, the recent transcription has not been added to my total

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Ok, you can add me to the pile of people with this issue. I did a few and the count crossed a 100 boundary which made it memorable, plus then perhaps a few more. When I stopped and restarted (went back to the red shirt man screen without logging off and then pressed Start Transcribing) the count's last digits were back to 89. I did another transcription so it was 90, stopped and restarted, and it went to 89 again. Signed out and in and the count did not change/correct.

So I guess I'll take a break until this is resolved.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

I just did a test transcription at last two digits 89, then stopped and noted had gone to 97 rather than 90 and that is what it is showing when restarted. so it had partially caught up for me overnight though is still not where it should be, so dunno if I can call it fixed. :p

Edit: Nope, I did another and it went to 98 and then when I stopped and restarted it was 97 again.

I'm less concerned by my counter than I am that when it does this, who knows whether the transcriptions are even being saved.

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni

My counts appear to be working normally (and the missing 6 transcriptions restored to the count) this morning.

On the other hand, I had a difficult time signing in. Got rejected multiple times (very carefully typing after the first time) at NFN, same error at Snapshot Serengeti (where I have worked before). The usual clearing cache & cookies, closing and restarting browser didn't help. Was able to sign in at Zooniverse.org, then click over to NFN and sign in successfully there. (Approx 1015-1030 AM EDT Wed 22 April 2015)

If this persists, it's a bigger problem than incorrect counts: if you can't sign in, you can't report the problem or see if there is an existing discussion about it.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

This all may be taken care of by a number of API updates that should be finished in a couple of hours. (That's what broke login this morning.) Give it that time, and then try again. If it's still happening, I'll get someone to look at it.

I'm really sorry for all the frustration, guys. There's some major maintenance going on and often things get worse before they can get better.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Seems to be resolved for me as well. Count jumped 20 and when I transcribed/quit/restarted the count increase was preserved.

Posted

• reddder by reddder

well, i tried Mr Kevvy's solution -- no joy. signed off for the night. today, i return, ready to do battle, and, lo & behold, the count in my profile is now correct: 37 transcriptions restored. This good news enables me to go directly back to my fungi. Thx for your interest!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Excellent! That's good. Like I said... we had to break a few things to fix a few things! 😃

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni

All seems to be functioning correctly for me too. Thanks for the explanations and the fixes.

Please pass on the thanks to the programmer(s) who are working on the software. They usually hear only complaints, and nothing at all when all if functioning as it should. So props to them.

Posted