Notes From Nature Talk

Blank specimen image / interface if transcriber has no records available in current set

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

No image loads when starting transcription and Discuss links to empty http://talk.notesfromnature.org/#/subjects/ indicating there's no record. Tried on two browsers and two computers from two IP addresses and no change. I tried all of the others (Calbug, Macrofungi and Ornithology) and they all work.

I thought Herbarium was completely down but then I saw another poster indicating an error and the image count has gone down, so I created a test account and it brought up an image. So it's just me.

[I had planned on power-transcribing all weekend (these things always happen with that sort of timing) as it's at 95% to get it completed, but something tells me that it may already be completed and run out of images.]

Anyone else?

Edit: I found I can log out and transcribe anonymously... I'll just have to log in when I leave object comments.. :p This is weird. Well my counter won't go up but so be it. And after each transcription a double image loads and I need to quit and restart. Something is definitely broken.
    Edit2: After about 5-10 transcriptions the double issue stopped and it seems to be working fine now, but only anonymously. My account still broken.

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin

Oof, Mr. Kevvy, is this still not working for you? I will report the problem but REALLY hoping (beyond hope) that this somehow resolved itself?

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Unfortunately it's still occurring, and I verified this (again) on two different computers, on two different IP addresses, on two different browsers (Chrome and Firefox) that all the NFN projects except Herbarium (of course, the only one I want to do) work when logged in, and Herbarium works only when not logged in, so it's definitely my account. Oh and I had never gone to NFN before on the second test computer to eliminate local residuals ie cookies causing it.
    Edit: I just tried it from work as well today (Monday 2015 Mar 16) and there is no change...

I really appreciate a response on a weekend and my apologies that it looked for a few hours that Herbarium was down, until I saw someone post that they had the "double image" issue. Happily that appears resolved after a few anonymous transcriptions. I'll just track how many I do and hope that it can be added to my main account total. :^)

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin

Hmmm well let me post this to the issue tracker and see if we might be able to both resolve this AND add to your total count. No stress re: weekend either. Notes from Nature is something we really want to get "right" despite the glitches and hiccups. And sometimes the only time to do that is weekends.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Much appreciated. :^) Please advise when you'd like me to test and/or when you'd like the numbers... I did a bunch anonymously and ended up starting another account (Mr. Test) so that it wasn't resetting and also to mitigate the "double image" bug before ssgiris figured out it was Chrome.

Edit: After a couple of days I'm inclining to the idea that the issue is that of the 1.7K images remaining, about 90% of them I'm seeing I transcribed already under this account, thus the transcriber app. is disallowing it from any more.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Since the system allows anonymous transcriptions I don't think there's much checking of who is doing them. I was also getting the same records when using my primary account and noted it many times to the admins.
    Also if just setting up a new account and transcribing is causing this problem, wouldn't other new accounts be causing it too?

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Thanks. :^) I understand and you are probably right. I am hoping that I will get an official word on it from the admins. soon, and if this is the case as it seems, would be nice if the transcription interface actually said something like "No more available records for this transcriber" or equivalent as it certainly makes it look like a bug as-is.

The last time the completion got over 90% the project went offline for a short time and new images were uploaded to it... I don't doubt we've gone over some threshold.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Yup, it seems as though it is indeed the interface's rather user-unfriendly way of telling the transcriber that there are no more records for them in this set, as when we got down to 42 remaining, Mr. Test had the same issue. Of course being that it was that close to done anyways I just transcribed anonymously. 😄

By the way this was the last record to be transcribed; figures it's Robert Kral's pre-1975 typewriter... lol. Please let me know when you'd like my totals. It's nice to have Herbarium (temporarily) completed and get a break... I think I need one.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Some images to transcribe just showed up in Herbarium for some unknown reason (maybe they didn't reach concurrence?) but they were all ones both Mr. Kevvy and Mr. Test had seen, so logging as either of them produced the same result.

Edit: With the new 7K images uploaded the Mr. Kevvy account can transcribe them. Hopeful I can get my total updated but no hurry.

Edit2: Since the more pressing issue has resolved and since I've absolutely confirmed that it is the cause, I've updated the title of this thread so that it's more accurate and can be updated similarly in the GitHub entry.

So to clarify: if the transcriber's account already has an entry in all (or most of.. when I used a different account I was getting ones that Mr. Kevvy had never seen as they had rather obvious errors in them that I hadn't entered an object comment for) the remaining images in the project's set, the interface will just present them with a blank screen with empty fields at the bottom when they click "Start Transcribing". No notice is given why they aren't getting an image to transcribe, and it looks for all intents and purposes as though NFN or their account is broken. So at least a blurb as to why would be ideal...

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I believe that additional images showed up in Herbarium because the team was doing a transcription blitz event with one of their partner organizations at FSU and Valdosta State over the past weekend. That involved reactivating a few images from each museum... a couple thousand overall, I think?

The team can tell you more and be a bit more clear about it. 😃

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy in response to DZM's comment.

@DZM: Thanks for the reply... yup, noted that and this is why I was able to definitely show that that the blank window problem is just NFNs sorta user-unfriendly way of telling me that it's cut off my current account from the remaining set of images.

(resubmitted this comment to nudge the thread up so the issue isn't forgotten.)

Posted