Notes From Nature Talk

species names?

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

Calbug: Sometimes there's an extra label with a scientific name that differs from the one already entered, either adding a subspecies or completely different, usually with "det." plus a name and date. There's no field for this but it can go in "other notes" though it may be pretty long, especially if there's a flower name or other info that needs to go there too.

#question #speciesname -- How much of this species info do you want? do you want it if it matches the name already entered? If there is more info for "other notes" is there a preferred order?

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin

I shouldn't speak for the CalBug team, but my understanding is that they already have their taxon names captured in their database and are unlikely to change them. Those names likely reflect current taxonomy for the groups in question. I would therefore probably NOT spend time capturing that info in the Notes field. I will verify this, though, and try to get back to you!

Posted

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

Robgur, I've just re-read the helpful Blog post Faqs and Useful Tools (not easy to find it) and it says to include ALL variations of species names in Other Notes (#12&13) I much prefer your advice, but could you check specifically for Calbug?

It's confusing because the fields & guidelines may be different depending whether you're working on bugs, birds, fungi, etc yet comments and questions from all sections get mingled together.

Posted