Notes From Nature Talk

Herbarium: poss. problem entering dates in new UI

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

Hi,

Something funny is happening when I type a year and hit return to enter data, seems to be related to the new UI (I never saw it in the old UI).

• Use the keyboard to select a month
    • Tab to the next field
    • Use the keyboard to select a day
    • Tab to the next field
    • Use the keyboard to select the year, e.g. type 1969
    • _The correct year appears in the field
    • Hit Return to submit/save data

Problem: the list for the Year field appears (i.e. a great tall thing in the middle of the page) and I can't see if the year that I entered was still selected when the page was submitted. Because this is the final field in a record and the record then disappears, I can't go back and check.

What I'd expect instead: the selected year stays highlighted in the dropdown field, the tall dropdown menu does not appear, and the page is submitted.

Is this data actually saving? Please don't tell me I have to select years with the mouse instead, that would be so sloooooow!

I'm using Chrome Version 39.0.2171.71 m on Windows.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

I noted this in the 4th-last post in this thread which was passed on to the dev. team (apparently... the issue with Skip Record is still ongoing.)

Posted

Ah, a duplicate bug report... I hang my head in shame.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Heh no worries. :^) Since it's still ongoing maybe they need one.

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin

We do need reminders! Let me pass this on again...

Posted

• michaelf500 by michaelf500

Did anyone clarify whether pressing return does actually enter the date? Pressing return is what I always do...

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy in response to michaelf500's comment.

re: "Did anyone clarify whether pressing return does actually enter the date?"

It does as you can verify by clicking the "1/9" on a new record, selecting the "Collection date" field and transcribing it pressing Enter as it will go back to Country instead of to the next specimen. When you click the "1/9" again, the date you transcribed will be there under "Collection date" showing it was recorded properly.

Posted

• michaelf500 by michaelf500

Marvellous, thanks.

Posted

I tried this and agree with the results of your test Mr. Kevvy, but the system behaviour isn't the same in the case of your test, as it is if you hit Return after completing the date when all other fields are completed.

Hit Return on the year, when other fields are completed (original scenario): the Year popup flies up and looks like it's lost your selection.

Hit Return on the year popup when other fields are blank (Mr Kevvy's test): the Year popup does not fly up and you can see that your selection has been preserved.

Because of the different behaviour, I'm still not convinced that the year is being saved if I hit Return ... frustrating not to be able to see the database. [last paragraph edited to ease other posters' existential doubts 😃 ]

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I will bring this up on Monday as well, along with the badges issue... Thanks!

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Well, as kind of an addition to this, there's no confirmation whatsoever that any of the data we've worked on so long is ever even being entered at all. There's also no way of revisiting a record or the data one has keyed to verify, and no "report card" or stats. have even been offered showing accuracy or amount of data entered. For all I know due to browser bugs everything I've ever transcribed for over a year has come through as null fields.

Posted

• reddder by reddder

Now, that is not a very affirming thought. A great practical/existential joke though.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to Mr. Kevvy's comment.

I seriously doubt that this is the case, but if you'd like, I could reach out to the science team to confirm that data is indeed being logged... ?

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy in response to DZM's comment.

That's OK; I was just being hypothetical. I'm pretty sure that someone would have looked at the output to make sure no one was outputting nothing but blanks or junk, just that we can't see the results at all. I have enough trust in the system that I am still here and transcribing. :^)

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Like I said, I should be able to get devs to at least take a peek at the issues that have been reported here, on Monday.

No promises about fixes, especially if the bugs aren't replicable, but we'll see what we can do!

Posted

Sorry about causing existential doubts! I only meant the year field and only in the event of hitting Return after all other fields are complete... now re-edited for clarity. Thank you DZM.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Just to add to my comment above about no confirmation of data being submitted, it's happened before and did just happen again: if my internet connection goes down when I am in the process of a transcription, on "submission" the interface will just go to the next record which will never load. There's no indication given to the transcriber that the data was never received and lost.

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin in response to Mr. Kevvy's comment.

Got it. I am not sure we can fix it, but will pass this one along to the Zooniverse developer and see if we can give better reporting in cases like this.

Posted

Hi, resurrecting this one... did we ever get a definitive answer from someone who can see in the database about whether the year is saved, if you hit Return after typing in the year?

Posted

Resurrecting again... any chance of getting this fixed?

Posted