Notes From Nature Talk

(FYI/Known issue) Typing "22" in the Day picker field selects "21" instead

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

This thread is more of an FYI/reminder as it's well-known but still something to beware for recent transcribers, if the day of the month in the image to transcribe is 22.

Note: This is not an issue with Notes From Nature but instead is due to the way browsers interpret keypresses. I made a simple demo with an explanation here showing that any HTML pick list is affected.

I tested this with current versions of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera and all of them are affected. The only browser I ever found that wasn't is Opera 12.17 which you can download a portable version of here if you really want to avoid this issue. (Portable = can be run from a removable medium ie flash drive without being installed.) (Edit: This no longer works with the new marquee-less pan/zoom interface!)

As an FYI to the project admins., this issue means that it will probably be necessary to check every final concurrence transcription with a Day value of "21" against the original image, as it is so easy to overlook this that I would wager that there will be instances where all four transcriptions of an image with "22" were entered as "21".
    As tedium and I are the best of friends, I hereby volunteer for the job. :^)

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin

Mr Kevvy, well noted and very important. We are trying to find the support to experiment with a "transcribe once and validate" model, where the validator would be different from the transcriber. I think we may very well be looking for those who would want to do some data quality checks just as you describe. And we may see if we can just provide some of the raw outputs for checks on this problem.

Tedium and I hang out too, but we occassionally fight (not that I ever seem to win).

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy in response to robgur's comment.

:^) Much appreciated. Oh and of course I'd also be certainly open to running the final output through the custom dictionary to catch all the typos in the original tags that were transcribed verbatim that I've been documenting thus far, but only get to see a small percentage of.

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

Just curious - why is 22 a problem and 11 ok?

Robgur, tell us more about this 'transcribe once and validate' model... 😃

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy in response to HelenBennett57's comment.

For 11: First "1" pressed selects first item in the list starting with "1" which is "10". Second "1" pressed selects the second item in the list starting with "1" which is "11"... yay.

For 22: First "2" pressed selects first item in the list starting with "2" which is "20". Second "2" pressed selects the second item in the list starting with "2" which is "21"... boo.

If there was a day "33" day in the month it would take 4 "3"'s to select it.

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

Oh... so at least I can hit '222' to record '22'! (Checked and it works - quicker than shifting position to use the down arrow.)

Posted