Notes From Nature Talk

(As of Firefox 36) Bug with (Herbarium) images not loading in Firefox

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

At least four can be seen in the Recent object commets in which their images were loading previously as the comments either show the images or discuss them. Here is a new image that won't load as well. Anyone else?

Edit: It appears that no images are loading. The one that shows in Recent was cached in my browser (there are many comments with the same image.)http://talk.notesfromnature.org/#/subjects/ANN0003kp1

Edit 2: The new one I linked above is loading now. Looks like a glitch.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Please see the previous post... I figured out that it is a bug with Firefox and this site (as I have never seen it anywhere else.) It seems to involve an error in Firefox's cache. I'm on Windows 7, having the same problem on two workstations (one at home with Ultimate and one at work with Pro) both on Firefox 28.0. I can't update to 29 as there's a bug with the dropdowns where Enter no longer works.
    I've seen the progression now several times:

First, after a few transcriptions some of the images in Recent Object Comments start to appear blank, all of them being mine as I had them loaded before. More and more of them will go blank.
    Finally, the image that I am working on also goes blank if I switch from the transcription window and back again. This would ruin that transcription, but I found a nifty workaround below...

Quitting and restarting Firefox completely (making sure the firefox.exe process terminates) will temporarily resolve the issue, but it will come back again about 5-10 transcriptions later. Can anyone else confirm the same issue?

The workaround - How to reload a transcription image if it disappears in Firefox:

On the transcription page click Discuss. The image won't show on the Discuss page but there will be a small placeholder.
    Right-click the placeholder and click Copy Image Location.
    Open a new tab in Firefox (Ctrl-T or click the +)
    Right-click the address bar and click Paste & Go.
    You should get a popup window asking to open or save the image; I choose Open to have it come up in the default image viewer.
    Now you have the image for viewing at least if the next step doesn't work.
    Go back to the transcription window tab.
    Right click where the image should be and click Reload Image. Now, because you just refreshed the cache, it should load properly.

Posted

• md68135 by md68135 scientist

I am not seeing this in Firefox 28.0 (Mac OS 10.6.8) or Firefox 29.0.1 (Mac OS 10.9.3). Perhaps it is a Windows 7 issue? We have reported it to our developers so hopefully they can take a deeper look. Thank you so much for your detailed report!

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

You're welcome and thank you for the response. 😃 Could very well be Windows 7.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

It seems to have gotten worse with the latest Firefox build. I can get about 2-3 images before it goes to a missing image icon or an all-black image.

I started using a portable Opera build and it works perfectly on the same machine so it's almost definitely a Firefox bug. One detail is that it happens far more often on my work machine which uses a proxy config. URL but of course Opera is using the same string.

Edit 2014-Dec.-05: Adding an edit rather than a new post so that it doesn't bump the topic back to the top. Just updated to Firefox 34, plus on the redesigned "No Marquee" interface and it appears resolved. Loaded several pages on the Recent tab which would be guaranteed to cause it before and transcription images are still coming up, so I'll mark this thread Resolved for now.

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin

Passing along to the NFN dev. side for a look. I have some ideas what might be wrong but let me check in with Zooniverse and see what can be done.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

This issue is ongoing. I left it a while to see if it improved, but eight releases of Firefox have been released and same issue still. I use Chrome for transcribing when I can but here I can't. It's no major problem and it appears no one else has it so it may be my office environment, ie the proxy. Once it gets so bad that the actual transcription image blanks out, I just quit and restart Firefox and it's fine for a while.

Posted