Notes From Nature Talk

CalBug system glitch: bug files spitting past without stopping

• Noharrr by Noharrr

I should have credit for about 160 classifications. I now have over 250. Why?

When clicking "OK" on the last stage of classifying, or "Next....", I am getting up to 10, sometimes more, files flashed past me almost faster than I can see, let alone click on. This will seriously muck with the finished database, since these images are being counted as completed classifications (I/we haven't even had a chance to see them!)

See also thread "Record Count Jump"/

I'm starting a new thread because the problem still exists, but it's more serious than just the counter changing.

Posted

• Noharrr by Noharrr

uhhh - make that 490 credited where 160 are due. It seems the bug files kept flashing by while I was filing my bug report. Have you been hacked because of the Heartbleed "bug" (not the entomological kind).

Posted

• Noharrr by Noharrr

OK -- way over 800 files now. They were dumping into my computer so fast that they froze the system and I had to shut down and re-boot to stop the bugfile dumpling.

Could someone on the tech team look into this please? CalBug is great fun and stretches my geographic knowledge, but it's also stretching my computer beyond capacity. Heeeeelp.

Posted

• joanball by joanball scientist

Oh wow, I'm not sure what happened with the image loading. I forwarded the issue to the technical team. We have had problems with record counts, which will hopefully be fixed soon. Please also let us know if the imaging loading problem continues.

Posted

• Noharrr by Noharrr

OK - I logged about 30 files today but . . . when I left the site yesterday, I was still under 900 (only approx 160 of which were actually processed by me). Yet when I logged in today, the counter was at 945. When I finished, my CalBug counter was at 975. Yet when I reconnected via the ZOONIVERSE home page, my counter was a 1075.

That's a lot of images (ie over 800) that show as transcribed, when I never even saw the files.

The images I transcribed today were stable; I was not aware of images flashing past, and the counter on my transcribing page seemed to be working normally -- except for the additional 100 tossed in somewhere between CalBug classifying and re-entering via the ZOO home page.

Posted

• joanball by joanball scientist

Thank you for outlining all of this. The technical team is looking into it.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

This is still occurring... just had it happen and in the Herbarium. It seems to be caused by cache or other leftover data, as if I reopen the Herbarium transcription page without first going to and refreshing the main page (the one with the man in the red and white shirt) then after doing a transcription when the next one loads it will stutter and then skip to the next specimen and the "Got it - let me transcribe" overlay dialog will appear as if I just started again.

Usually when this happens I stop and close/relaunch the browser/reload the start page and it doesn't reoccur, but this time I didn't. Instead I did another transcription. When I completed the same stutter and reload of the overlay happened, but my transcription count went up by 4. I did it a few more times and it went up by 4, 7 and 15 respectively (doubled minus one... that may be significant.) At this point it hung so I shut the browser and it's fine now.

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin

got this posted as a github issue and hopefully a developer at Zooniverse will look into it ASAP. We really want to quash this particular bug (no pun intended)

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Thanks for the reply. :^)

Also FYI after logging off and back on at home my total went down by 60 or so, but the total in my "Transcriber's Life" page for Herbarium is 53 higher than Records Done in the transcriber panel. Something is seriously out of whack.

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

Seems to be cookie-related, or at least I was hitting it a lot earlier this year but clearing all my saved browser data would set it straight again.

Posted

• LucyLewis by LucyLewis

Just happened to me in Calbug too.

Posted