Notes From Nature Talk

Record count jump

• j-walk by j-walk

I just transcribed maybe six records, but got credit for twenty. I'm reporting it in case there's a larger problem at work.

Posted

• majortim by majortim

I think the skipped ones are counted, too.

Posted

• j-walk by j-walk

I hope that's not it. Would hate to think I've been skipping so often. : )

Posted

• majortim by majortim

I've just had that, too, from 93 to 109. 😮

Posted

• wreness by wreness

We were having the opposite problem here; I've done a many hundreds of bug records and only have credit for 72. Every time I sign out it just goes back to whatever it was when I signed in. Some days I'd do 75. I figured it was just, well, you know,,,,",bugs".... 😛

Posted

• wreness by wreness

....just to add --- I just did about 75 Bug records. I got credit for 4 : /

Posted

• uncloudedday by uncloudedday

I definitely receive credit for skipped bugs. Validated by noting my transcription count, then starting the transcription process, skipping a bug, and returning to my profile and seeing my transcription count had increased by 1.

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

I'm getting this problem too. I've transcribed maybe five herbarium sheets today and got credit for about forty.

• I haven't skipped the in-between ones, it just happens

• It looks as if some other records appear and disappear after I have submitted one, and before the next one settles down on the page

• Using Chrome 33 on Windows 7 Home Premium

• Noticed for the first time this morning (14th March); could be because I'd gone straight into the saved URL http://www.notesfromnature.org/#/archives/herbarium/transcribe rather than through the "front page" http://www.notesfromnature.org/

Posted

• majortim by majortim

Just clicked OK "record done" and then a new specimen was loaded, appeared for a few seconds, then another 1 was loaded and so on. Over 50 bugs were skipped.

Using FF 27.0.1

Posted

• scbourgoin by scbourgoin

I did another 10, but the number jumped back to when I started. I hope the records were recorded.

Posted

Were you going straight to the "transcribe" URL? Going through the front page seems to get around this bug (only a workaround, not a fix).

Posted

• majortim by majortim

I fear that the 76% progress of the bug project is just based on this very phenenomen we're discussing here.

Posted

• reddder by reddder in response to majortim's comment.

Well, I must admit that I am amazed: we've hit the iceberg and the numbers are totally screwed up. In Calbug, I can do 10 specimens now and get credit for 300, yet nary a word from the 'bridge'. I think the management has abandoned ship! The faithful crew continues to bail, to paddle and to send the SOS, but nary a word from anybody in authority about any of this. I've never seen the likes of this in any project in my life. Time to return to the Wildebeests on the Serengeti. I'll not waste another minute on this project. I don't give a damn if they're tracking my numbers, but it's an indication that the general state of things is not what it should be. Hope this is restored to some semblance of an organized activity because I enjoyed it.

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57 in response to dmbrgn's comment.

Sorry to hear that you feel like this. My guess is that the completeness stats will be drawn from the number of derived consensus transcriptions (see blog post here http://soyouthinkyoucandigitize.wordpress.com/2014/01/14/412/ ) and the individual record counts are just for our personal satisfaction... which still doesn't stop it being annoying that this bug still hasn't been addressed. We're not being ignored - AustinMast has been through a bunch of peoples' comments on specimens recently - but it is bad for goodwill when niggles like this aren't responded to, and that's bad for the whole project.

It does seem like one works around the bug by going through the "front page", not straight to the "transcribe" URL.

Posted

• majortim by majortim

Too bad, the wildebeests are on hiatus. ;-s

Posted

• reddder by reddder in response to majortim's comment.

not for long

Posted

• wreness by wreness

Just popped in to see what was going on, I have had to take a break out of sheer frustration with the whole mess, sad to say. This is a great thread. I have been putting all my energy elsewhere since there seems to be a pin-dropping silence in the Bug area. 😕

dmbrgn -- the beests are back..RUN. I will see you there.

Posted

• reddder by reddder in response to wreness's comment.

Roger that!

Posted

• joanball by joanball scientist

We have a request from the technical team for some additional information from as many people as possible experiencing the record count problem.

I know this is a lot to ask, but the following information would be extremely helpful in finding the source:

1.) Username, or logged in status

2.) Browser/OS (https://www.whatismybrowser.com/)

3.) Screenshots of where the number jumped

4.) General timeframe of when the bug occurred

5.) Any other contextual information that you think might be helpful

Thanks so much, everyone!

Posted

Hi, just started hitting this bug.

1. Username HelenBennett57

2. Browser Chrome, running on Windows 7 Home Premium service pack 1

3. Screenshots... would love to but there isn't an 'attachment' thing here and it doesn't like the file path from my local machine. If you can tell me how, I have a screenshot.

4. Timeframe: between approx 2.30 and 7pm today, UK time (GMT +1)

5. Other contextual information: my browser had got confused by nasty behaviour from another tab. I cleared my cache (this normally fixes it) and logged out of and back into the other app, gmail/google docs and NFN. I have used these three in the same window many times before - maybe not the other app often, definitely gmail/docs daily. After I cleared the cache and logged back in, my record counts started jumping.

I've tried clearing the cache, restarting the browser and logging back in again; and my record counts are still jumping. They've gone from 1389 to 1392, 1394, 1400 today, skipping over the records in between; i.e. it started skipping every time I transcribed a record or two.

I'm going to try logging out (I don't normally bother), clearing the cache again this time including hosted app data, shutting down the computer, restarting and logging back in; will see what happens.

Update: following all that, it's working again now. Whew 😃

This is probably irrelevant but I almost always drag the "start this record" bar down to the bottom of the page and hadn't bothered this afternoon; I've dragged it down again and the software is behaving ok. It's enough to make you start doing voodoo operations!

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin

Its really good to see that the reporting of count and skip bugs have slowed noticeably. If people are still experiencing this, please report it!

Posted

Just hit this problem again, 9.40 AM UK time, herbarium, browser/OS as before. Haven't been doing any funny cache-messing things this time (unless NFN doesn't play nice with something on iNaturalist, where I was looking at the first screen of the UI), but I'm about to try clearing out the cache as before and reopening the browser.

Edit - clearing the cache and restarting the computer stopped the problem happening, but this isn't a long-term solution as it takes me a while to get all my work stuff set up, so there's a big hit when I shut/reopen it all. Next time I'll try just clearing the cache (also quite a hassle) and restarting the browser. Not a good fix but maybe it gives a better idea of why counts are going wierd.

Posted

• LanceSnider by LanceSnider

I'm seeing the opposite issue. I haven't been hugely active on this site, but all of the sudden it says I've only ever done 10. I have no idea what the real count is, but I can tell you it's more than 10. 😃

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Just had the same issue in Herbarium. When I finished a record the "Got it! Let me transcribe" box appeared overtop as if I had just started transcribing. Records done jumped from 4704 to 4711. It happened before this as well but I didn't note the record change. I completely quit Firefox and restarted it between sessions.

Posted

Saw this again this morning (Chrome); was able to work around by clearing cookies (after which the record count started to behave again); didn't need to restart the computer or the browser.

Still not a nice workaround cos of having to log back into three other things as well as the Herbarium afterwards 😦

Posted