Notes From Nature Talk

Herbarium and Macrofungi not advancing to next specimen record on completion

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

See last posts here: http://talk.notesfromnature.org/#/boards/BNN0000002/discussions/DNN00001k7
    Also comment on this item: http://talk.notesfromnature.org/#/subjects/ANN0003rw5

After clicking Done on a completed transcription, the interface disappears and the same specimen record is staying there. The transcriber needs to click the off button and then "Start transcribing" to proceed. This seems to be a new problem as of yesterday or today.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Two other details: on clicking Done the transcribed record count is incremented by one, but on quitting and restarting it's back to what it was (so it appears the record is not being saved.) Also it is possible to drag over the specimen and transcribe it a second time.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

(Only can lasso/transcribe a second time in Herbarium; in Macrofungi the interface is gone until quit/restarted.)

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

This thread indicates a code change was applied 21 hours ago... possible cause: http://talk.notesfromnature.org/#/boards/BNN0000002/discussions/DNN00001o0

Posted

• sraden by sraden

We applied a patch to the patch. I couldn't recreate what you saw exactly Mr Kevvy, but we did fix something problematic.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

It's almost working... it does go to the next record now, however when I stop and restart transcribing my "Records Done" count has gone back down again.
    I tried it twice... my current count is 490. Did a record, it went to 491 when the next one loaded. Stopped and restarted and it was back to 490 again. Did two this time, and it incremented twice to 492, but then when I stopped/restarted transcribing, it was back to 490 again.
    Can you confirm that the transcribed records are actually being saved?

EDIT: It's now showing 493. Problem appears resolved. :^)

Posted

• jbrophy by jbrophy

Same problem occuring for Calbug. Not advancing to next record and 'Records done' not advancing.

Posted

• reddder by reddder

From a somewhat removed position, after having read the msg traffic, I think it would be fair to say that the average person would assume that the people managing your IT haven't got a clue as to why the Notes from nature system is gradually coming off the rails. Since they don't appear to have a handle on the problem, it's hard to envisage how they can be expected to solve the problem. I'm sure that many volunteers don't appreciate working with a 'let's pretend' system. So . . . how about a little change in the support force. Remember, one of the definitions of insanity is doing the same think over and over again, and expecting a result different from the previous dog's dinners that we've been served.

Well fan my brow, it appears to be working correctly -- another Festivus miracle. Gr8 thx also to the IT Corps.

Posted

• tmeconverse by tmeconverse

I'm not sure it's working quite yet. In Herbarium my numbers are now advancing properly, but there has been no advancement in the number of specimens completed. Before the meltdown, when I did 20 labels, the total completed in the Herbarium count might go up 3 or 4. The last three digits of the collection items completed has remained at 866 for the last three days, and I've done over a hundred in that time period. I also still don't understand the percentage finished. Before the fix, we were 48 % done with 28,000-ish total labels in the data base. Now we are 55 % done with around 55,000-ish labels. Does that mean that the earlier total of 28,000-ish was really at 100% before, or that the remaining 10,000-ish labels from before the melt-down are no longer in the mix to be done? I also haven't seen any of Michel G. Lelong's since the upload of the new labels. I almost miss him.

Posted

• micmac274 by micmac274

They want 1 million specimens eventually on the Herbarium. It says so on the intro page. Presumably, they will keep putting them up in little sections until it is finished. If the count starts advancing again. Good news is that Macrofungi are now advancing slowly. Many people who might only be doing the ornithology may end up doing calbug or Herbarium, or we may lose them to a project entering very similar style log data.

Posted

• SarahtheEntwife by SarahtheEntwife

Herbarium is working fine for me (PC running Chrome).

Posted

• micmac274 by micmac274

Herbarium has advanced by 1 record. Macrofungi is just going up slowly, presumably more people are doing calbug than those two. There does not need to be more people on Ornithology, since there are a lot less records to do. I think once Ornithology is finished and Calbug is finished, we'll see those people move over to the herbarium and macrofungi.

Posted