Notes From Nature Talk

Bugs in the Mycological Collection

• jamac41 by jamac41

Since I seem to be the first person using the forums to spot the new collection, I thought I'd start a collected bug thread for it. I will try to collate all the bug reports in this thread into the first post for ease of reference. Edit to add: All bugs not attributed to a particular poster are in Chrome 30.0.1599.101 m on Windows 7.

1. Some of the labels are too wide for the magnification screen, so after drawing the box round the whole thing the right hand side is cut off (see ANN0003es9, for example).

2. Fixed.

3. Some photos are upside down (though this may not be a correctable bug). Via T-M, post 2.

4. The examples button in the 'Skip Field' dialogue doesn't seem to do anything.

Posted

• T-M by T-M

Yes, I tried Macrofungi some days ago and I had the same problems.

As the labels are much bigger than those of the Herbarium (at least in relation to the complete photo), I think there is no need for the magnification thing. You could use the complete photo for transcribing, like in Calbug.

Also, at least a few photos are (or where) obviously upside down or something.

I hope this is just the beta test and they will improve it soon, because it is only partially usable now.

Posted

• jamac41 by jamac41 in response to T-M's comment.

Magnification is useful for some of the handwritten ones, but unfortunately they also tend to be the ones that are too wide for the magnifier. The fact that it saves all the recorded information if you delete the box and add another means the problem can be worked around by making multiple boxes and recording the visible information each time, but that's a right fiddly and annoying workaround.

Given the lack of official announcement, and the fact that it's definitely not prominently displayed, I suspect very much that it is a beta of sorts - it's quite possible they don't have the funding to get in-house QA beyond the developer(s).

Posted

• CTidwell3 by CTidwell3

FYI: there is a type of a 'Back' button that works similarly to those from other collection. If you click on the 1/5, 2/5, 3/5, 4/5 or 5/5 button, it brings up a display of what has been entered sofar. If you click on any of those, it lets you jump back to that question.

Posted

• jamac41 by jamac41 in response to CTidwell3's comment.

Ah, ta muchly for that. I've obviously been doing too much bird stuff recently and forgotten about that due to the different method there.

Posted

• bthiers by bthiers

Thanks so much for your comments! We are working to make it easier for you to see the label while you are transcribing. We did start with a soft launch of Macrofungi to try to find out where the problems are -- please be patient and don't give up!

As I mentioned in a different discussion, if you are given a very wide label, you can just skip it. Or, if you don't want to do that, try drawing the box around just the information you will be transcribing -- country, state, locality, date -- it's fine to cut out the species name and the collector information

Posted