Notes From Nature Talk

Scientific author field missing?

• riskingraisin by riskingraisin

I transcribed some records earlier today & everything was normal, but just now I started transcribing and the Scientific Author/Species Author field (can't remember exactly what it was called) has disappeared from the list. Is this an intentional change, or is it a bug? I thought it might just be the one record, but it happened for the next record as well. Threw off my routine. Should I include it in the species field, or just leave it out? What gives?

Posted

• tmeconverse by tmeconverse

I just noticed the same thing, and plan to move over to the insects until this is cleared up. I am confused as well about this.

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin

Hi everyone. After looking at preliminary transcription results, we decided this field was likely to be more hassle to collect and interpret than it was worth both for you, the transcribers and for the herbarium data providers. In the botanical taxonomic literature, one can retrieve the authority if one has the species name in almost all cases. Given this, we decided to remove this particular field to speed up the transcribing process a bit. Hope this make sense!

Posted

• SandersClan by SandersClan

Lovely! Once we get used to it, this will be great.

Posted

• riskingraisin by riskingraisin

Okay. Was that announced somewhere that I missed?

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin

Yes we do plan to give an update very shortly about all the fixes made over the last week or so. We think we are getting closer to having the main things working --- lots of room for further improvements but will be a bit more incremental in the next few weeks.

Posted

• xairbusdriver by xairbusdriver in response to riskingraisin's comment.

I'll check our local paper again, but I didn't see anything about it there, either! LOL! Seriously, I pretty much got hit between the eyes when I realized I'd entered that Author info in a previous transcription in the Location field (I think!). Apparently, even new habits are hard to break?! 😃

I'll miss the fun of trying to decipher BrittEn from BrittOn in the hand-wriitten labels... I'll probably get over that quickly, however! YES!

Posted