Notes From Nature Talk

Back space to correct typo removes me entirely from transcribing...

• Janet_Jaguar by Janet_Jaguar

...always and only correct typos by selecting with mouse and over typing. I wouldn't mind the back space not working, I mind having my work erased and being kicked out.

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson in response to Janet Jaguar's comment.

Use the left cursor key (slow and annoying, I know).

Posted

• xairbusdriver by xairbusdriver

Please, PUH-LEEZ disable the 'delete' key!!! 😎 I always seem to need/use it on the last field(s)! At least have it play a short audio saying something like, "Oh NO! You did it again, stupid!" :+|

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson in response to xairbusdriver's comment.

Do you mean pressing the Backspace key deletes the entire line? What browser are you using? That doesn't happen for me, using Firefox under Linux. I've found that if I press Ctrl+Backspace, though, the entire line is deleted. I wonder what would happen if you pressed Ctrl+Backspace..?

Posted

• xairbusdriver by xairbusdriver in response to ghewson's comment.

Do you mean pressing the Backspace key deletes the entire line?

If it were only the line! [headbash]
    Actually, after trying to avoid using the 'delete' or 'backspace' key, I have narrowed down the problem a little. I can use the 'delete' key in at least the first nine fields (I'm pretty sure, anyway). But if I use it, at least in the "Year" part of the Date info, I am taken all the way back to the 'Home' page, all the entry is lost, as far as I know.

Frankly, I'm still gun-shy of the key and still avoid it like the plague! It may actually be a problem with any field with a pre-defined list (Country, State, County and Date(s)). I'm positive the 'delete' key works normally in the plain-jane text entry fields, however.

BTW, I'm on OS X 10.8 but I might as well test out the 'delete' key behavior (with and without control and maybe option key combinations) on all the list fields to know better what to complain about! 😦 :p

Posted

• okopho by okopho

A few other shortcuts that work with Firefox on Linux:

• Ctrl+Home -- Move caret to start of field
    • Ctrl+End -- Move caret to end of field
    • Ctrl+Left -- Move caret to start of word left
    • Ctrl+Right -- Move caret to end of word right

Also: with Shift, these will all extend the selection.

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson

Ah-ha! Thanks!

Posted

• gc9 by gc9

To avoid the problem where backspace invokes the back-button of the browser, losing work on the current bug: on the Calbugs page with the wall of yellow butterflies, I control-click the "start transcribing" button to open it in a new tab, so the back-button is disabled. (in my Firefox this is equivalent to right click context menu, "open in new tab")

Posted

• bumishness by bumishness admin

I can disable the backspace/delete key from actually causing a Back action in the browser, but it felt wrong somehow to disrupt such an important part of how a browser works. Very open to being persuaded differently though.

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson in response to bumishness's comment.

I don't encounter the problem, as I said above, but I've never seen the backspace key used to go back a page. Isn't that what the browser Back button is for? Am I misunderstanding something?

Posted

• nosenabook by nosenabook

Every now and then my clumsy fingers hit random keys and I try to backspace to delete unwanted letters and poof! I'm out of Notes from Nature entirely! I close the browser window and do something else for a while.

Posted

• tdf4638 by tdf4638

I get the same problem with Chrome

Posted

• geckzilla by geckzilla in response to ghewson's comment.

Keyboard shortcuts are often much quicker (and less stressful on already injured or strained joints) so there is almost always a keyboard equivalent to mouse click operated GUI buttons. If you ever get RSI or carpal tunnel you may find the knowledge useful. It's also useful to know that even if your mouse gets broken or lost you can still effectively manage your computer with just a keyboard.

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson in response to geckzilla's comment.

Tell me about it. I've recently taken to wearing a wrist brace at my computer, probably due to too much NfN'ing. I fear I'll have to cut back.

Keyboard shortcuts are (or should be) a function of the browser/OS, not an ad-hoc function of the particular application. People expect the backspace key to function as such, as we've seen in the above comments.

In Chrome, the shortcut for Back is Alt-left arrow. Firefox, it seems, doesn't have a built-in shortcut, but it looks as though the add-on Customizable Shortcuts might do the job: https://github.com/ttaubert/customizable-shortcuts

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson in response to ghewson's comment.

And indeed, the Firefox Customizable Shortcuts addon does the job. Alt-left arrow works, and, too, the Back button on my Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000.

Not that I need the function all that much! But if anyone does for NfN, there's your answer, not the Backspace key.

Posted

My mistake: Alt-left arrow works fine in Firefox without needing an add-on, at least under Linux.

Alt-left arrow also works for Internet Explorer. Microsoft have also made Backspace a shortcut for Back, but only when the focus is outside a text entry area. Inside a text entry area, Backspace affects the text, as you'd expect. The point is moot, though, because NfN doesn't work under IE, for me anyway. Using Windows 7 Starter, I just see a black screen and nothing else.

So as far as I can see, having NfN usurp the Backspace key is unwarranted.

Posted

Ah, light dawns (I think). I had a feeling I was misunderstanding something. So under Windows, IE, Chrome and Firefox use Backspace as Back (to the previous page), and if people unintentionally hit the key outside a text field, that's what happens. That's just crazy, and a quick search shows plenty of other people think so too.

Posted

Wow, same thing in OS X with Chrome, Firefox and even Safari.

At least with most Web pages you can click Forward and get back to where you were, complete with the text you entered. That doesn't happen with NfN.

Posted

• zoonirunner by zoonirunner

Just deployed a change that disables the backspace key while within an interface. Outside of text fields of course.

Let me know if this is better for you folks and/or you run into any problems with it.

Posted

• bumishness by bumishness admin in response to zoonirunner's comment.

Oops, that was me.

Posted