Notes From Nature Talk

Inconsistent operation of 'enter/return' key

• xairbusdriver by xairbusdriver

When selecting the first two items (State and County) I MUST use the "OK" button to get to the next entry field. However, from that point until the Date item, I can either press the 'return' or the 'enter' key. I suspect it is simply due to the html behavior with drop down lists. eg, pressing 'return' or 'enter' usually selects the selected item. However, it should be possible (certainly with PHP, but probably even javascript) to also accept a valid selection (anything other than the "--make a selection--" default choice.

Posted

OK, I think I've decided that my first post is inaccurate (furst mizteak uv thu yeer!).

I'm now using the 'return' or 'enter' key just about everywhere. But the "OK" button is always the safest choice. Especially on the last part of the Date field. O plan on doing some testing/experimenting on the 'delete' or 'backspace' key today and I will try to confirm how the 'return' and 'enter' key behave on the two basic types of fields we have (lists and plain text).

"Pictures at ten!" 😛

Posted

Findings (scientific?): Using the 'return' or 'enter' key is acceptable in all the single item fields. In the Date area it is not relevant until all three parts of the date have been entered. These keys are what usually is an indication that the 'submit' button has been selected or that one field is complete and the next should be entered. In this case, the 'submit' button is the "OK" button, at least in the Date area. On that 'field' the same response from the software is generated by either clicking the "OK" button or the 'return' or 'enter' key.

The behavior of the 'delete' or 'backspace' key is less encouraging and quite destructive if one happens to be in one of the 'list' fields (Country/State/County or any Date field). In those last fields, the 'delete' or 'backspace' key causes the loss of all previously entered data and brings one back to the 'home' page.

I would hope that someone can create a script or some other code for testing and blocking/allowing the ANSCII and/or Unicode character codes for 'delete' and/or 'backspace.'

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson in response to xairbusdriver's comment.

Using Firefox under Linux, the backspace key works as expected, and doesn't cause loss of data. This is what I've been using, so I haven't experienced the problem.

Now, I've been experimenting with using the Konqueror browser, and the problem with the backspace key does happen, destroying the data you've entered.

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson in response to ghewson's comment.

Oh, and the problem doesn't occur with Chrome under Linux, either.

Posted