Notes From Nature Talk

Hello, Notes from Nature!

• DZM by DZM admin

Hello, Notes from Nature Zooites! I wanted to stop by and introduce myself…

My name is Darren--DZM here on Talk--and I've just joined the Zooniverse team. I'm working on a few projects, first and foremost an overhaul of the Talk system. In particular, I’m interested in working to build a unified Zooniverse Talk within which individual project forums are nested.

I don’t have any sort of scientific or biology background, but I’m hoping to learn from everyone here! I’ll be around these boards as often as possible, looking for any other ways in which I can help out, so I’m always interested in hearing from you--questions, concerns, ideas, anything.

In particular, if you have any additional ideas for how Talk can be improved, I'd love to know!

See you all around!

DZM

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

If anyone would like to know a bit more about me and my role, there's a new Zooniverse blog post up from Chris Lintott introducing me.

Feel free to check it out, and I'm happy to answer any additional questions that you might have! 😃

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Hey Darren... welcome. :^)

Maybe, just maybe, in addition to the Talk system you may already work on the code (or know those that do) for Notes For Nature. If so, perhaps you can answer the question at the end of this thread and confirm whether "Transcribe Once and Validate" was implemented. Sure looks that way, but we never got an official notification. Thanks in advance...

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I'm too new to know exactly what that refers to, but I will ask the folks who have been here longer, and get back to you. Thanks! 😃

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy in response to DZM's comment.

re: "I'm too new to know exactly what that refers to"

Heh no worries... and honesty overrides all. 😃 The Notes From Nature project started with four transcriptions required per image for concurrence. The plan was to change this to one transcription with a validation to be done later, I imagine either internally or with assigned person(s) from here. It appears that this was implemented on Oct. 9th as all the stats. changed but we weren't notified.

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

Hi Darren,

My old-fashioned tuppence-worth - the biggest way that NFN Talk could be improved, would be just if the team logged on and replied more (e.g. to settle this debate about Transcribe Once and Validate! I'm still convinced it doesn't exist yet...).

It'd be nice if this was just even a slightly more up-to-date BB with e.g. pinned threads for FAQs and helpful tools.

Helen

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy in response to HelenBennett57's comment.

re: if the team logged on and replied more (e.g. to settle this debate about Transcribe Once and Validate! I'm still convinced it doesn't exist yet...).

But they did, and it isn't. :^)

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Yep, just to quote scientist @robgur:

Transcribe Once and Validate is on the horizon (not just crossed fingers but plans to get to that one)--- one of two or three key priorities in the next 4-6 months.

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

Ah, I missed that one, shows what happens when w*rk gets in the way of citizen science. Thanks y'all 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

No problem! Glad to have you back! Hope the, uh, w*rk wasn't too awful. 😃

Posted

• CharlotteBio by CharlotteBio

As with all these posts it would be great if they were alive i.e. there was a good range of current comment, and especially answers and comments to what we put on them! So many of them seem to be dormant (i.e. started by someone and nothing more has happened since).

It would be really great if you professional boffins could have some way of flagging on the header pages for the different projects that some one had said something new too!

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni

Hi @CharlotteBio.

Not sure this helps, but if you click on 'recent' in the Talk area of NfN, the comments are listed newest-to-oldest within each category (objects, science, chat, etc.), so at a glance you can see if there's any recent activity. Unfortunately, it appears there are only a small number of active volunteers on NfN these days, and even fewer who post comments and questions, and yet fewer boffins posting replies.

am.zooni #notaboffin

Posted