Notes From Nature Talk

Image ANN00045n0

• am.zooni by am.zooni

Am I misreading ITIS? Today is my first time trying it. On Image ANN00045n0, I agree with @Mr. Kevvy's comment about TPL; it says Cleome spinosa is an accepted name. We both see ITIS showing it as an unaccepted name, but he saw the accepted name as Tarenaya hassleriana (TSN 823068) while I understood the accepted name is Tarenaya spinosa (TSN 823059).

How did I get my result? Search ITIS for Cleome spinosa, see that it shows Accepted Name(s): Tarenaya spinosa (Jacq.) Raf., click on that to get the TSN.

Any ideas why we got different results? It's clear Mr. Kevvy has a lot more experience at transcribing these labels than I do, so it's likely I'm getting a step wrong in the process here. Tips welcome! Thanks.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

There are two entries for C. spinosa. The one you chose is C. spinosa auct. non Jacq. which is listed as a syn. of Tarenaya hassleriana. The one I chose is C. spinosa Jacq. which is listed as a syn. of Tarenaya spinosa. Wikipedia on the meaning of auct.

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni

Thanks for the link to explanation of 'auct.' But I'm still confused. I did choose 'Jacq.' because that's what the latest determination label says. To me it looks like the correct/accepted name for this specimen that we should transcribe for this one is T. spinosa, based on these ITIS pages:

Cleome spinosa auct. non Jacq. Taxonomic Serial No.: 22629 Accepted Name(s): Tarenaya hassleriana (Chodat) Iltis
    text pasted from http://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=22629

Cleome spinosa Jacq. Taxonomic Serial No.: 565071 Accepted Name(s): Tarenaya spinosa (Jacq.) Raf.
    text pasted from http://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=565071

It's a slow process trying to learn how to do this stuff well! (No point in doing it if I'm going to enter poor quality transcriptions.) I wish I had more time.

Posted