Notes From Nature Talk

Possible name error on Image ANN0004ezq, plus questionable collector name

• am.zooni by am.zooni

Image ANN0004ezq - #scientist, possible #name #error

Latest determination says Xyris laxiflora var. iridifolia. I transcribed that but suspect it may be Xyris laxifolia var. iridifolia ('folia' not 'flora'). [Note: I'm making ZERO claim to identify the specimen; just describing indications that the info on the label may be a form of typo.]

Xyris laxiflora is an accepted name per TPL (kew-272795) but no variants are listed there. Xyris laxiflora (with or without variant name) is not found at all on ITIS or plants.USDA.

Original determination label says Xyris iridifolia, which is a synonym of Xyris laxifolia var. iridifolia per TPL (kew-272762), ITIS (TSN 39107) and plants.USDA (symbol XYIR).

Posted

• md68135 by md68135 scientist in response to am.zooni's comment.

Thanks for the detailed note. I think you are correct. Further, Xyris laxiflora does not occur in the United States.

http://www.herbarium.unc.edu/FloraArchives/WeakleyFlora_2015-05-29.pdf

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni

I LOVE these kinds of 'treasure hunts' when links seem to cross each other up.

That's a good tip! I hadn't thought to check the location info. Useful supporting evidence, especially in this kind of collection where most of the specimens are collected pretty close to 'home'. But even in this one caution will be needed, as there are some cultivated non-natives and some specimens collected by the usual collectors but from other parts of the US (perhaps faculty or students while traveling).

Posted