Notes From Nature Talk

Herbarium: if there are multiple labels, transcribe the name from the most recent one

• am.zooni by am.zooni

If the Herbarium image you are transcribing has multiple determination labels, you should transcribe only the #name from the most recent determination (most of the time addtional labels contain at least a year). Also, if the additional label has an exclamation mark rather than a species name, that means the later determination confirms the earlier name.

See item 11 in the FAQ here: http://blog.notesfromnature.org/2015/04/14/updated-faq-and-useful-tools-herbarium-interface/

And if you are transcribing Herbarium labels and haven't read the FAQ, you will probably find additional useful tips there.

Posted

• md68135 by md68135 scientist

Thanks for that @am.zooni !

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni

Thanks @md68135.

I posted that during the WeDigBio blitz, when the question came up about a dozen times. I was hoping to both jump-start the quality of the results from the newbies and provide some guidance so they would feel they were doing useful work and might stick around. (That type of info, mostly from Mr. Kevvy as mentioned in another thread, helped me SO much when I was new here.)

Posted