Notes From Nature Talk

Basic instruction and conventions

• rhiannonHB by rhiannonHB

Hi,

I'm just starting out and wanted to check if labels are to be transcribed exactly as presented or if there are conventions in how to put names for example (eg. J.M. Powell or Powell, J.M.)? I didn't know if this may affect the searchability/analysis of data later. Also, are there conventions as to the use of ft. or ' for elevation? If there is a locality and state, but no county and the county is easy to find should I add this information? Can I add male/female symbols or should I just write it in? Sorry if I have missed some instructions somewhere that cover these queries.

Many thanks for any advice before I go any further,

Rhiannon

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson

Generally, transcribe as written, but correct any typos you spot. Yes, add county information if you can. Personally, I enter ♂/♀ but I shouldn't think it matters if you enter the words.

There are some hints in the popup help for the different fields, and maybe this discussion will help: http://talk.notesfromnature.org/#/boards/BNN0000001/discussions/DNN00000uh

Posted

• MCulpepper1 by MCulpepper1 scientist

Hi,
    ghewson is correct, transcribe as written, you can correct typos but if you are unsure it is always safest to transcribe verbatim!

Posted