Notes From Nature Talk

Multiple Scientific Authors

• xairbusdriver by xairbusdriver

I've been using the one nearest to the botanical name (most seem to be on the same line) when there seem to be two authors listed. It seems that the first is usually inside parentheses "( )" while the second is not. However, I just looked up one secimen with two authors as described and see that both were alive at the same time they could have been working/classifying. They died at different times, but I'm wondering if I'm doing things correctly.

I think have misunderstood the example as the text says there is a name (singular) but the image shows both an abbreviated name (in parentheses) AND a full name of someone else! Hope I have finally grasped the correct procedure! :headbash:

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson

I think the name in parentheses is the primary author, that is, the first to use the name (quite often it's L.!) and the others added contributions. So add them all, as written.

Posted

• xairbusdriver by xairbusdriver in response to ghewson's comment.

I've left off a lot of hose secondary 'authors!' In particular "Small!" I thought that was referring to the size of the specimen!!! <8+[ Just proves, you simply can't make some things idiot proof! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Posted

• SandersClan by SandersClan

Xair-I did the same a few times with 'Small'. Glad to know I'm not the only one! For the record, I, too, have been including all names as written.

Posted