Notes From Nature Talk

Should we transcribe typos and spelling errors as-is?

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

I know there's a guide/FAQ for transcribing being worked on, so this would be a good entry for it. If there is an "obvious" (to a non-scientist at least) error in the tag should we fix it or leave it as is? And if the latter, flag it for further review?

Right now I am transcribing errors as-is but flagging with the old proofreaders' "[sic]" (Latin for "thus" indicating this is how it is written, not an error in the transcription.)

Posted

• El_Lion by El_Lion

Personally, I don't think the scientists are interested in how many and where spelling errors can be found in this database. The focus of the database are he collected items. I mean obvious spelling errors.
    I'd say file it under "Nobody's perfect" and "sh** happens", write the correct spelling and be done. 😃

Posted

• reddder by reddder

King of the Jungle roars -- a very sensible roar.

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

I'm just typing everything exactly as written now, including obvious spelling errors. At first I was flagging with "[sic]" but when I saw the thing about transcriptions being voted in or out depending on whether they agree with other transcriptions, I wanted to do the least-pedantic thing, that feels like it has the most chance of my transcriptions agreeing with other people's.

I might know that a collector's name has been spelled wrong (saw this recently) because I've seen it fifty times; someone who's only transcribed a few records won't know that. And hey, I might just "correct" a spelling and get it wrong.

Maybe we could transcribe as written, but if we all tagged consistently with something like #spelling, it could be a pointer to clean up the accepted transcription in the database?

Posted

• Noharrr by Noharrr

I actually found an apparent geographic mash-up made by a bug collector. The tag read "8 m S Verdi, Storey Co, Cal.
    A web investigation showed:

• Storey County is in Nevada; there's no Storey County in California
    • Verdi NV is in Washoe County NV, not Storey County (tho' those 8 miles might make a difference)

So I tagged it #error and described the issue in a comment. I agree that #spelling is useful and will keep it in mind. TNX.

Posted

• joanball by joanball scientist

This is what you should do in a case like the last one, @Noharr:

Look up the county for Verdi, California, which is Sierra County. It's usually best to look up the county for a given town. Because, people (including collectors) are generally better at knowing what town they are in over what the correct county is.

For locality, enter verbatim "8 m S Verdi"

Posted

In general for spelling mistakes, this is our consensus now, which is listed in the FAQ list (http://blog.notesfromnature.org/2014/04/17/faqs-and-useful-tools/):

4.) Spelling mistakes: Transcribe exactly as written, unless you have looked it up and are absolutely certain of a simple spelling mistake. In this case, you can enter the correct spelling.

Posted

There is no real need to flag spelling mistakes, but you may want to flag other issues that you think need to be addressed, such as a faulty image or illegible handwriting. This is also addressed in the FAQ blog.

Posted