Notes From Nature Talk

This collection is difficult

• Ma29ryAnn by Ma29ryAnn

I've been working on the herbarium, insect and ornithology collections. This fungus collection is very difficult. Some of the labels are too faded to read. Others are woefully incomplete. This specimen lists "Sylwyn Y.T." as its locale. I can't find this as a place name. I will, however, valiantly struggle on. The photos are lovely.

Posted

• darryluk by darryluk

Selwyn, Yukon Territory, if my googling guesswork is correct!

Posted

• bthiers by bthiers

You are right -- there are some difficult labels. These are often the ones that are handwritten, and often are specimens that were never completely identified and so never had a proper label made. Feel free to skip these -- there are plenty more with full data! However, if you like a challenge, go for it! A hint: with specimens from the University of Michigan, when in doubt, assume the locality is in Michigan, unless the collector is K. Harrison, in which case the locality is usually Nova Scotia.

Posted

• jamac41 by jamac41

Given that the handwritten ones can be a pain (and indeed, I've just transcribed a handwritten one in German), would it be an idea to change the stated "Avg. Difficulty" on the collection's front page to Medium to reflect this?

Posted

• darryluk by darryluk

There are so many, don't be afraid to 'skip' and move on. There will always be someone who wants to do it or can do it, and it doesn't look as though we will be running out of these in the near future. Generally, they are easy compared to the amount of work on other collections.

Posted