Notes From Nature Talk

Some verification please?

• Sylverone by Sylverone

How do my entries, copied below, look to you?

-=-=-

Species: PANICUM augustifolium (sensu lato)

Habitat and Description: Abundant with P. sphaerocarpon on upper beaches at edge of slashpine-scrub oak wood- land facing bayside of island, ca. 0.7 mi ESE of Marshall House. Grasses increased after the hurricanes of 1985? Conforms well to P. fisiforme Hitch. does suggest strongly P. aciculare -- vegitatively!!

-=-=-

Also, what does "Stuk. 2.5-2.9 (3)" mean?

Thanks.

Posted

• darryluk by darryluk

sensu lato mean "in the broad sense". Odd spelling mistake fisiforme is fusiforme, vegitatively, should be vegetatively. But all in all really good and got everything down.

Posted

• darryluk by darryluk

I think it's spek or spik, it's part of the plant but I cannot remember which bit, the figures are measurements of the length of these. He has not put whether mm, cms, or inches, so just put the figures in. I tend to put the pencil amendments in brackets, but I'm sure people do it different ways.

Posted

• Sylverone by Sylverone

Yeah, I looked up sensu lato and left it in since it seemed relevant to the identification. Nice tips about the typos.

I remember taking notes of measurements like this when I had the brief pleasure of working for a botanist-in-training in the field, so you're probably right. Going by google, spik might be short for spike. No botany results for spik or spek. Huh.

Posted