Notes From Nature Talk

Scientific Authors: (L.) Willd.?

• Sylverone by Sylverone

Edit: Nevermind, I've found my answer, although my second post below could still use a reply. Thnaks!

When typing the scientific name, should I include the "(L) Willd."? My searching has taught me that L. stands for Carl Linnaeus and Willd. stands for Carl Ludwig Willdenow. This thread and the link to wikipedia was helpful: http://talk.notesfromnature.org/#/boards/BNN0000003/discussions/DNN000003u

Okay, here I found that there used to be a Scientific Author field in the interface, which was removed: http://talk.notesfromnature.org/#/boards/BNN0000002/discussions/DNN00000me

So, my question comes to; Should I include these in the Scientific Name field - considering that many of my search results for this species include the author abbreviations - or should I ignore them? [EDIT: For now I'm going to skip it, since that's what was suggested in that last link.] [EDIT2: Whoops, I only just noticed the help above the transcription widow, which says not to record the scientific author. Shouldv'e thought to look up there.]

Thanks for the help.

Posted

• Sylverone by Sylverone

In addition, what is the note above, which looks like "! equttal, 1987"?

Posted

• darryluk by darryluk

It just means the description was checked and found correct in 1987.

Posted

• Sylverone by Sylverone

So the exclamation mark stands for a determination... Is the word short for something like "equ et al" It seems like it would be referring to some person or group, but maybe not. It's got me curious because no matter how I spell it, Google isn't giving hits.

Anyway, thanks again. 😃

Posted

• riskingraisin by riskingraisin

The word after the exclamation mark is the name of the person who is confirming the determination. In this case it's "Littal" (L. J. Littal), who has a notoriously indecipherable signature (but at least it's consistent). For a slightly more legible version, see ANN0000khy

Posted

• darryluk by darryluk

Sheesh an easy answer! I hunted for loads of latin versions lol

Posted