Notes From Nature Talk

Not sure about writing

• DebG44 by DebG44

The beginning of the grass name and the collector.. really not sure about what it says.. Anyone any thoughts?

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson

We're not meant to record the local name anyway, just the scientific name. The collector is Ruskin S. Freer, which I only know because someone else deciphered it here: ANN0000jgz !

Posted

• DebG44 by DebG44

So it's wrong to put it in brackets? How do I go back to correct my mistake?

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson

Well, it's just not required. There's no way to go back to correct anything, but don't worry, other people will transcribe the same record, so the final result will be cleaned up.

Posted

• nosenabook by nosenabook

I do not regard the local name as required, but I like to put it in because some of them are weird, such as this one.

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson in response to nosenabook's comment.

Which field do you put it in?

Posted

• SandersClan by SandersClan

The only time I include a local name is if I can't verify that the scientific name I've entered is correct (can't find in plant list, etc.). I figure it would help in those instances. That said, some of them crack me up. Location names do, too, such as yesterday's Butt Mountain (confirmed location).

Posted

• nosenabook by nosenabook in response to ghewson's comment.

Habitat and description. Sometimes it's the only thing I've got for that field and it saves me two clicks because I can use the "enter" key. That's where I put all the odd stuff.

And for odd place names, I'm still wondering about Hotopp. But my favorite Locality (so far) is Orchard, new golf links, U.Va.

Posted