Notes From Nature Talk

Scientific Author irregularity

• xairbusdriver by xairbusdriver

I came across "DC." today. I'd seen "D.C." (note period after both letters) several times before and decided to see which was correct. Amazingly, the correct abbreviation is "DC." because there are at least three Botanists with starting with "D.C.": D.C. Eaton=[Daniel Cady Eaton (1834–1895)], D.C. McClint.=[David Charles McClintock (1913–2001)] and D.C. Stuart=[D.C. Stuart (born 1940)]! I have faithfully transcribed all those "D.C." entries, but now it appears they were all errors by the Collectors?

Perhaps, when these transcriptions or complete, a search for "D.C." should be made to see if some of these names can be corrected? Obviously, "D.C. Stuart" probably wasn't classifying anything before 1960... 😉

BTW, "DC." is Augustin Pyramus de Candolle (1778–1841), probably Irish! [rolleyes]

Posted

• nosenabook by nosenabook

I've been aggravated and amused by turns at all the directions, with and without caps and periods. W., W, w., w
    I used to be confused at how to abbreviate highway and route. Turns out, so was everybody else, even in official records.

I think it depends on the date of the sample, and how much a stickler the typist was. And whether the collector was doing the typing himself.

Posted