Notes From Nature Talk

[Suggestion] California as default state for insect classifying

• Kelvets by Kelvets

I have been classifying insects and I noticed that the vast majority of them originate from California, United States. I would suggest these to be already defaulted (pre-selected) in the country and state selection drop-down menus, as to save us volunteers time and annoyance in having to select them. If it's a different state, people would just change it.
    Thank you.

Posted

• xairbusdriver by xairbusdriver

Why use the drop-down menus? 😃 All you need to do is type the first few (usually not more than two!) letters in the name of the state, eg; "CA" will put the whole word "California" in the State field. If you come across a state that has a unique first letter (Utah, Florida, Georgia...) you only need the first letter. Actually, typing just a "C" should give you California, since all the other states with "C" come after California in the list. And you don't have to move from the keyboard to the mouse and back as much. Not sure about Windows, but this is the same technique used to select something in just about any list in any app, including a list of files. Of course, in an html list, in requires that the items are placed in the list alphabetically.

Typing is much faster, in my opinion, than using fairly large menu lists; States, Counties, Years. If you'll notice, "United States" is placed very near the top of the "Countries" list. So, even though the list is not exactly alphabetical, you would be able to select the USofA by typing "uni"!

Hope this helps. 😉

Posted

• Kelvets by Kelvets

Oh it certainly does, I never noticed you could type in that field, since it looks like a drop-down menu! Thanks.

Posted

• xairbusdriver by xairbusdriver

it looks like a drop-down menu!

Well, it IS a drop-down/pop-up menu. 😃 But most Operating Systems and html, also, allow typing in the first (or the first few, if you are fast enough) letters and select whatever that might be in the list. Handy for slower "typists" like me, is that if you type only one letter, you will get the first item in the list that starts with that letter. But the real advantage is that you can then just press the down-arrow key and the rest of the list, from that point on, will appear! That means you can very quickly "scroll" to the part of the list you really want to look at with just two keystrokes (the first letter and then the down-arrow). Another tap or two of the down-arrow and you could be right on the word/State/etc. that you want. Then just press 'return' or 'enter' and you're finished. 😉

This technique can also use the up-arrow key but you'd probably need that less often. :p

Posted