Notes From Nature Talk

No collections on Notes from Nature (15 March 2016)

• am.zooni by am.zooni

Help! I am unable to see any collections on Notes from Nature today, 15 March 2016. Someone please fix it!

Tried around 10.15 AM EDT and again now just after 11 AM. Tried all the usual tricks but nothing helped: refresh browser window, log out & log in again, clear cache & cookies, close and restart browser. (Windows 7 home premium, firefox 43.0.4)

Update: I also tried Internet Explorer 11.0.29 - same problems.

Posted

• maggiej by maggiej

I'm having the same problem in IE. I was happily transcribing Macrofungi when suddenly the site refused to display the next label. When I tried a refresh, it can't find the collection. IE also warns that it is only showing secure content, but when you click button to show all content, the page just says it can't find the collection.

Interestingly, in Chrome I +can+ see the collection and display a label, but i cannot send a completed label to the server (as described in previous posts over the past few weeks). Same thing in Firefox.

IE 11.0.29, Chrome 49.0.2623.87 m (64-bit), and I am running on Windows 7.

Posted

• md68135 by md68135 scientist

Hi @am.zooni and @maggiej,

Aargh! I am seeing the same thing on Firefox, but Chrome seems to be working on Mac. I am looking into this now.

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni

Thanks @md68135. It's frustrating not to be able to work, but it does help to know that the problem has been noticed.

For what it's worth, I'm still not seeing any collections at 9.30 AM EDT Wed 16 March. Also, If I click 'sign in' at the top of the page at https://www.notesfromnature.org/ and enter my info in the popup window, it tells me 'signin failed' (although I was very careful not to make a typo). But If I click on 'talk' first and then enter my user name and password in the boxes at the top of the page, the signin works. (I have no idea why those two signin processes would act differently but perhaps a programmer can find a clue in that.)

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

Ditto am.zoon - I went in using Chrome (16th March 16, c. 14:00 GMT); had to sign into chat* and that was fine; the browser remembered my login for the Herbarium and the first few transcriptions were fine, and then I got kicked out and was unable to sign in again.

• normally it remembers me; I thought I might have cleared a cookie but maybe not, looking at other people's experiences.

Posted

I noticed the same issue with the log ins. There seems to be a problem there as well.
    Still working on getting someone to look into this more closely.

Posted

Hi All!

Thanks again for pointing this OK. It should be resolved now.

Apparently the Zooniverse was updating a number of security issues on the site which led to this problem.

Please do let me know if you are still experiencing issues.

Posted

• maggiej by maggiej in response to md68135's comment.

The "Talk" function is coming up as not secure on all browsers because it's now talk.notesfromnature.org, but the security certificate is from zooniverse. I went into the Talk page anyway so that I could post this problem. You should fix the certificate as soon as possible.

Posted

• maggiej by maggiej

P.S. Talk function showing as not secure only when accessed from the main page. If you click "Discuss" while on a label and then select Recent from the resulting page, you can get to this page without seeing the certificate message.

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni

Hurray! I can see collections and transcribe again! I logged in via the pop up window this time (my usual approach). (My cookies are always cleared between sessions, so I always have to log in to either transcribe or use talk - well, I can view talk without logging in at all, but not post).

I am getting some double images though (very rare for me in the past). But easily resolved by reloading the page which gives me a fresh single image.

Firefox is showing me 'connection is not secure' on image pages, discuss-image pages and talk pages. I hadn't noticed before whether any of these were secure or not. (This is using firefox 43.0.4 which isn't the very latest. I think current is 45-something.)

Posted

Hi All,
    I think that Talk was the last place where updates were being done, so I am not surprised to hear of these issues. I am hoping that most of this is resolved today.

Posted

• maggiej by maggiej

I think the certificate problem in Talk is resolved now.

Posted