Notes From Nature Talk

Data won't update into system

• maggiej by maggiej

This just started happening again in Macrofungi, around 7 pm PST on March 2. I enter all data into the fields on the screen, click OK one last time, and instead of displaying a new specimen for me to transcribe, it displays the same record with all the fields blanked out. Did you folks just retire another collection, or move stuff around? This seems to happen every time a collection is finished and taken off the site.

Posted

• md68135 by md68135 scientist

Nothing has changed in Macrofungi that I am aware of. I just tried a few and didn't notice this issue. I am using Firefox (44.0.2) on Mac. Chrome seemed to work OK too.

Are you still having the issue? What browser are you using?

Posted

• maggiej by maggiej

I'm still having this problem with both Firefox (44.0.2) and Chrome (49.0.2623.75). I'm not on a Mac though, I have a PC. Can you try it on a PC?

Posted

• maggiej by maggiej

More information: I tried doing the transcription fields in a different sequence. Regardless of which one is last, when I click OK on that field it wipes out my entries for all the fields. I tried clicking the "Finish this record" button instead, but it tells me that my last field is empty (which makes that button useless). The total number of transcriptions does not change, indicating that the record was not sent to the server.

The total number of transcriptions has increased since yesterday, so I know that other people can transcribe; but I cannot. I wondered if it could possibly be something connected with my login id. So I just signed out and tried as an anonymous user but still have the same problem.

Posted

• maggiej by maggiej

Still more information: it's working in IE, but still not in Firefox or Chrome. So I'm using IE, but hoping to be able to return to one of the other browsers as I like them better.

Posted

@maggiej,
    I tested this on a Window's machine. It has Windows 10 installed. I tried this one Firefox and Windows Edge. I had no issues at all, counts went up, etc.

Can you tell me what version of Windows you are using? At this point, I think I should submit a ticket to see if the Zooniverse folks can see if your account is having an issue or if they have other ideas.

Sorry for the trouble.

Posted

• maggiej by maggiej

Thanks @md68135. I'm still on Windows 7. Maybe it's time to upgrade. I just tried again on both Chrome and Firefox -- still not working there, but IE is working. At least I can transcribe, but IE is so clumsy. And I miss my Chrome add-on with all my shortcuts.

Posted

OK, thanks. I reported it. I am hoping that someone on the developer side might have some ideas.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Windows 7 machine to try this out, but that could be a factor. It looks like Microsoft stopped supporting it about a year ago.

Posted

• maggiej by maggiej

MS stopped supporting XP a year ago, but Windows 7 is still live. They'd like to get us all onto Windows 10 so they could get rid of it, but I think it'll be a while before that happens.

Posted