Notes From Nature Talk

GETTING 2 IMAGES AT ONCE Calbug & Fungi

• Bonnie123 by Bonnie123

We are getting 2 images again. It is 9:04am PT, I'm using Chrome.

LLITTL reported it 2 hours ago for Macro Fungi.
    http://talk.notesfromnature.org/?_ga=1.192483562.1973194733.1431448988#/boards/BNN0000002/discussions/DNN00004o5?page=3&comment_id=567acd1aa243c335bc00135f

I'm getting the same issue with CalBug. The first image comes up fine, after you hit submit for that one the next one comes up with 2 images. I get out and start again, same thing happens, first image is fine, the second one comes up with 2 images.

Could someone working Herbarium let us know if you are having the issue too.
    Thanks so much

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni

I just did a dozen Herbarium transcriptions and didn't experience the double-image problem at all.

I have a few times in the past though, and didn't have to back out. This worked for me so try it: do a reload/refresh of the browser window (or the tab showing the probem images) and the double image will disappear and you'll get a new single one.

Posted

• Bonnie123 by Bonnie123 in response to am.zooni's comment.

Thanks for letting us know that Herbarium is OK. Good news is it's not as bad as it was earlier today and I now get the 2 images at least after a few instead of after only 1. Thanks for the info on the refresh for the browser window that works great and is easier.

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

Didn't see this on Herbarium yesterday.

Posted

• Bonnie123 by Bonnie123

Update: I've inputted quite a few of these in CalBug in the last hour and have not had the double image issue.

Posted

• maggiej by maggiej

I had the double image problem twice today in Macrofungi. Returning to the macrofungi home page and clicking the Transcribe button resolved the problem the first time. The second time I had to close the tab before I could get rid of the second image. I didn't think to try just refreshing the page as @am_zooni suggests, but I will next time.

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni

I'm getting double images this morning (11 Feb 2016 - 10.20 AM EST) in the SELU Herbarium collection.

Posted

• slogan3561 by slogan3561

I have a question regarding several cards I've seen that have no location information on them other than the county and "P. O. Some town", which I assume is the name of the town where the post office is located. I don't think entering the post office location gives any useful information, but maybe you do. Or maybe P. O. means something else in the scientific community. These cards also have Elevation, but I know that goes under habitat. Do I just skip location?

Posted

• md68135 by md68135 scientist in response to slogan3561's comment.

@slogan3561,
    I think this is a different issue from the 2 images showing at once. Please let me know if you think otherwise.

In the situation that you mention I would enter the P.O. and town listed in locality and the elevation in there as well. For many old collections the collectors did not have detailed maps so they often listed the closest post office. I know that seems ridiculous now.

Posted

• Bonnie123 by Bonnie123 in response to md68135's comment.

Is this unique to only the situation where there is a P.O. listed? I ask because the FAQ (#14) states that Long and Lat goes into the Location field, but FAQ #16 states Elevation goes into the Habitat and Description. In this specific case I can understand the elevation might be more of the location, but it would be good if this scenario could be added to the next update to the FAQ which many of us try hard to follow.

Posted

• DrPongo by DrPongo

I'm getting one image in front that does not move, with another behind that does. When I went to the discuss page, I'm pretty sure it was for the image that was behind (or else a third, unrelated image). Using Chrome on Windows 10.

It would be helpful to have a 'back' button, FYI.

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni

This 'double image' problem is a bug in the system that occurs unpredictably. (System upgrade is coming soon.)

When this happens, the simplest solution is to refresh your browser window. This makes both the 'frozen' image and the one hidden behind it disappear, and gives you a different single image to work on.

Posted

• md68135 by md68135 scientist in response to am.zooni's comment.

Thanks am.zooni!
    Also, I agree that this is very frustrating and apologize that it won't be fixed until we launch the next version of NFN.

Posted

• astrokye by astrokye

getting multiple images (in Microfungi Collection) using IE. First one is always OK, but after that not. Going back to main page and then back in gives 1 image, but records completed not changing, so I don't know if I'm wasting my time?

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni

I'm pretty sure the completed records are counted, even though the number on the screen doesn't increase when you leave and come back to the transcription screen. If you log out and log back in, the accurate count should appear. Another way to evade a multiple image is to refresh the browser window; that will serve you up a fresh single image and should also show the correct count of completed records. At least, this is what happens in my experience.

Posted