Notes From Nature Talk

Frustrating Calbug instability!

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

I just spent half an hour searching for info for a bug (sort of a dragonfly) collected in Alaska in 1919, with incomplete location. I found out the place name is a village abandoned after the 1912 eruption of Mt Katmai, the largest in N America in 20th century, 10 times Mt St Helens. It's on Naknek Lake in Katmai Nat'l Park, founded 1918. Fascinating! with notes from various sites in hand, I went back to enter the data, planning to supplement in a comment, and the Calbug site didn't recognize me so I had to sign in again and of course couldn't find that bug!

This kind of instability is pretty common on Calbug, but this instance upsets me because insects a few years after such an eruption can be particularly significant. I hope someone else has transcribed it!

Does anyone take an interest in these Calbug issues? I feel I'm working on something that's been pretty much abandoned.

@DZM can you please pass this on to someone? and @wreness just FYI.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Are you still using Safari? I use Chrome and haven't had any issues like this unless I'm using a non-wired/flaky connection but no issues at the NFN end. The backend should be common for both CalBug and Herbarium...

Posted

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

@Mr. Kevvy thanks for your response. I work on an iPad 3 with iOS 8.1.3 and Safari. I've had this problem three times today and when this Alaska thing happened I quit to cool down. I don't know if Chrome can be installed on iPad but I'll give it a try, If I had two browsers maybe I could classify on one and do research on the other, instead of switching tabs -- that might avoid the problem.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Chrome is available for iPad and I'm hoping it will solve the issue. :^) The developers have done a pretty good job of making it consistent across all platforms as far as I know.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Please let me know if installing Chrome fixes the problem... !

Posted