Notes From Nature Talk

database bug?

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

Posted

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

The city of San Francisco CA is in San Francisco County. The database won't accept identical data in both fields, even though that is correct in this case. After several tries I entered "San Francisco city" since the county names can't be modified from the drop-down list. The record is EMEC531796.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Oh, hah, that's a fun little bug! I'll put that through to get fixed; should be simple. Thanks!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hang on, @Shiphrah , I'm confused. Your first post is missing, and I'm having trouble following your second.

Are you saying that you put "San Francisco" into the free-text field and you got an error message because you selected "San Francisco" as the county? I just tried doing that and I had no problem.

What exactly did you do to produce an error?

Thanks!

Posted

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

the first blank entry was a mistake; ignore it.

I entered San Francisco from the county drop-down list, and wrote San Francisco in the locality field. When i clicked 1/9 to proofread the locality field was blank. There was no error message. I tried a couple times more then entered "San Francisco city" in the locality field and when I checked it was fine.

I ran into a second, related bug today. I'll describe it in another entry.

Posted

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

Today while transcribing a bug from Mexico I ran into a different problem. Mexico has fields for country, province, county, and locality. I usually skip county since there is a dropdown list for province. This time I transcribed the locality info into the free-text county field. Then I realized my mistake, erased it, and transcribed the info into the locality field.

When I proofread via 1/9 I found the same info in both fields and when I opened the county field there it was! I tried erasing the county field a couple times without success. Finally after erasing the old info I entered a blank space in the county field and that took care of it.

Posted

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

Note: in both cases it was 1/9 that alerted me to the problem, but when i opened the problem field it agreed with the 1/9 display.

The two examples seem contradictory, but in the San Francisco case it was a mixup between a dropdown field and a freetext field, while in the Mexico case it was two freetext fields.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Going to try to rope in some other folks on this...

Posted

• md68135 by md68135 scientist

@Shiphrah -- As for the issue of correcting your previously entered data, I think that you may not be hitting the "OK" button after editing something. This worked for me in both a Mexican and U.S. subject.
    Does this help?

Posted

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

@md68135 I've been careful about that,but can't be sure it didn't happen in the case of San Francisco in San Francisco county. I just entered locality Riverside in Riverside County (CA) and no problem.

but I've run into several instances of entering data in the wrong field and being unable to erase it; the most common is that pesky county field in countries other than US but it happens elsewhere too. It looks blank, I hit OK, but when I go back to proofread the mistake is back as if I hadn't erased it.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

It's also well-known and easily reproducible that after using Skip Record on a partially done transcription the data is still there in the "new" record.

Posted