Notes From Nature Talk

Are we to search online for missing info?

• A2H by A2H

I have an image of a data set from Sumatra (image ANN000312p). I know the country is Indonesia -- but it doesn't say that anywhere on the card. There are other locations mentioned, but they are all completely unknown to me and most I can't find anywhere online. IOW: I have no idea what might be the county, state, location, etc. I also assume some of those names are no longer in use (the collection happened in 1933).

Any idea how to proceed? I was so excited at first, because most of the info is actually typed, for a change!

Additionally: how do we report a date-range?

Posted

• darryluk by darryluk

It is transcribed as Goenoeng Manaoen, Sumatra, Western Indonesia - then the topographic detail as written. Names may have changed but transcribe 'as is'.

Posted

• darryluk by darryluk

Date range can be put in another box where you can fit additional details 😃

Posted

• A2H by A2H

Thank you, darryluk, for your answers. It's still not totally clear to me, though, sorry.

1. You say "transcribe 'as is'", but nowhere does it say "Western Indonesia" on the cards (not on the other one either). So we are supposed to find supporting info online when data for a crucial field is missing? (Like the country, in this case.)
    2. I've read your answer re the data range several times, having a mind-boosting coffee in between, but I still don't get it. Would you mind expanding on this? What "another box" do you mean? It's not like there is a free-form memo/notes field anywhere; or did I miss that?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just would like to contribute in the most meaningful way.

Posted

• darryluk by darryluk

Sorry, I made an assumption which added to the confusion. There is a variable box in 'habitat' so I would put it in there. First date in the date box and then the range in the habitat box. Hope that makes sense. As far as 'as is' , if you are unsure just put what is on the note, but if you are 100% positive, which I was about Western Indonesia, you can put the correct information in. So if in doubt type what's on the note, or 'skip' to next record. Bulk changes can be done to the database if necessary later.

Posted

• darryluk by darryluk

p.s. you are not being difficult! Always question what is not clear 😃

Posted

• A2H by A2H

@darryluk Thanks so much! Now it's totally clear to me. As for "always question what is not clear" -- that' my life's motto. But, boy, does it take a lot!! 😉

Posted