Notes From Nature Talk

Keyboard friendly version, please?

• frabuleuse by frabuleuse

Dear All,

I discovered the project tonight and I am already hooked to the idea!

However, I find extremely cumbersome the action of selecting the scroll down fields because one has to use the mouse too much! The most frustrating of all is the country selector. There are many more of your records that have been taken in the United States than in the United Arab Emirates, which I get when I tap U in the selector.

There is an elegant solution to this problem, provided in open-source here: http://uxdesign.smashingmagazine.com/2011/11/10/redesigning-the-country-selector/

It would be an awesome first step in allowing us to work almost only with the keyboard!

best

francesca

Posted

• darryluk by darryluk

I'm not sure that'll be considered a priority, considering the masses of information flying their way!

Posted

• purvislets by purvislets

If you try to type the word "United States" it will select it from the drop down menu without having to scroll. Same with any other word really. When you get to the S in States, it selects the right one for you.

Posted

• bthiers by bthiers

I will try to advocate for an easier way to get "United States" into the country field.

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

I really like the keyboard functionality - it has at least doubled my transcription speed, probably more (now that I've realised I can use tab and return too). Thanks!

Posted

• T-M by T-M

The most common countries used to be on top, but then some people where confused because they couldn't find them in the alphabetical list. Now the countries are all in alphabetical order, but now you have to scroll all the way down to find the United States. Both ways seem to have disadvantages.

I type "uni" and then the down arrow twice, so I can select United States using only the keyboard.

Posted

• CTidwell3 by CTidwell3

I type the letter v, then press the up arrow key three times to get to United States.

Posted

• wreness by wreness

I agree with you Frab - as I'm typing I'm thinking how much faster this would all go if the not needed options would be removed. Even typing the country into the list, if I put "united states" in as fast as I can type, I get Uganda for "u", then it jumps to Nambia for "n"...so I end up having to type it all in long-hand anyway. I am scrolling through the date list probably due to having a lousy keyboard, but even at that a whole chunk of those dates and countries can just be totally removed. I have to look at the keys when I type, another shameful secret I share with you : /

Posted