Notes From Nature Talk

Transcription not saved?

• stephenvp by stephenvp

Hi -- Just spent an hour or so transcribing a page of ornithological records. Nothing seems to have been saved. I just press finish right?

Posted

• nlauze by nlauze in response to stephenvp's comment.

Yes, and if you want to continue to transcribe more things, "next ledger". But you won't get to see your current record in a profile or anything, so if you want to keep track of having done it or discuss it or anything, once you've clicked "finish", then just click "discuss". From there you can "collect" it, or post comments, or add hashtags.

Posted

• stephenvp by stephenvp

So I should not expect "Entries transcribed" to appear in my Profile?
    Also what happens if I need to finish a session before I have completed a page of records? I can't get back to that page to complete. Is that work wasted

Posted

• nlauze by nlauze

You'll get a count of how many records from each collection you've done, but that's all.
    You could choose to click "finish" early. I'm not sure how the scientists feel about that, though. You're not the only one transcribing, so the partial data match might still be helpful to them. I would say that if you're not sure you're going to have a large block of time to work, don't do the bird collection, since it's really the only one where any given document will take a looooong time (certainly more than the claimed 15 minutes). The lack of a session save feature is something that's been expressed to the developers, so hopefully some time that will show up (there is such a feature for Ancient Lives, if it bothers you and you like any history and not just science history).

Posted

• stephenvp by stephenvp in response to ntcarlson's comment.

Thanks. But I am seeing nothing at all in my profile -- just "0" by entries transcribed and collections so I have to presume that what I am doing is getting lost. I'll try something else.

Posted

• Ninady by Ninady

I'm having the same problem - I've transcribed 3 full pages and one partial page in the past week or so, but my profile still only shows 1. This makes me wonder if my work's not getting saved at all, in which case I've wasted a lot of time and effort. I've been signed in each time (both to the main Zooniverse site and the NFN site, as somehow you don't seem to be automatically logged in even if you click through from Zooniverse after signing in). I have clicked 'FINISH' each time I've done a page (or the half page that I had time to do) but still, nothing...

Posted

• Bonnie123 by Bonnie123 in response to Ninady's comment.

Hi @Ninady,
    In my experience I did not receive credit for the page until I hit the "Next Ledger" button. First make sure to hit the "Finish" button after your last input/when you are done, then hit the Next Ledger. It should then add to your count in your in your profile. Even though there are multiple lines and we are supposed to get credit for each line, that part hasn't ever worked to my knowledge, so your count should go up 1 per page.

The log in issue just started awhile ago, due to some program issue related to the browsers, so you may have to log in to Zoo and NFN. I use Explorer and Chrome and if I log in thru the Zoo, I'm still logged in to NFN at least so far. We were lead to believe that eventually this will not work for these browser either and I will have to log in to both sites.
    Hope this helps

Posted

• Ninady by Ninady in response to Bonnie123's comment.

Thanks for your reply! Do we know if the work is saved for the benefit of the project, even if it's not showing up in my personal count?

Posted

• Bonnie123 by Bonnie123 in response to Ninady's comment.

When I tested this awhile back, my data appeared to be saved as long as I hit the Next Ledger button, so I think it is real important to do that.

I found it appeared my data was not saved (or the best I could tell) if the system evicted me while I was working (often happened to me if I hit enter when the system did not like it so I would get evicted).

Hope this helps.

Posted