Notes From Nature Talk

Enter Key Bug - Warning

• CTidwell3 by CTidwell3

We have seen this one in other collections in the past, and it appear to be in the Microfungi section as well. Since the last of the 5 questions is a date question with pull down choices, if you have filled in the previous 4 questions, select a month, then press the Enter Key, it finished the record even though the date was not provided. Even worse, it is likely to not even have the month or what you have select in the pull-downs up to that point.

To see some indication of what the enter key is doing without adding to the partial records, go to any record you are going to classify, start with the first question, click on the pull down, then press Enter. For the first field it will just write placeholder into the field (vs prompting you to say Write a value or choose skip field). The next 3 fields if you repeat his, it prompts you to enter a value or choose skip field (a good thing). The final question, it does not prompt you and immediately jumps you back to question 1 (a behavior that is done when fields are missing date). Now click the 1/5 and see the data written in all 5 fields (placeholder and 4 orange field names). This shows that if you had filled in the first 4 fields correctly, then clicked enter by accident, it would have submitted the record with no date.

Posted

• CTidwell3 by CTidwell3

Will also say that while I would want the Enter Key to continue to work like it is at the moment in that it allows me to use just the keyboard to enter data, the real issue is there not being logic to realize that data has not been entered and prompt the user to use either 'skip field' or to reenter a valid pull-down value. For question 1, if I just click the field then Enter, I should get a warning (i.e. the default place holder is not a value value). Similarly on question 5, if any of the 3 pull down values (Month, Day or Year) are the default value (vs. a correct value or the 'Not Shown' value), it should realize that data has not been entered and prompt the user.

With that in place, you could do all data entry with keyboard (values and tab key where needed, pressing Enter to go to next question) and not have accidentally press Enter too soon, especially on the final question, cause incorrect data to be submitted.

Posted