Notes From Nature Talk

The last set of herbarium images…

• md68135 by md68135 scientist

Hi Everyone,

I short blog about the completion and temporary closing of the herbarium interface.

https://blog.notesfromnature.org/2016/06/08/the-last-set-of-herbarium-images/

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni

It feels good to be part of a team that's accomplished something useful but sad to see it go.

I understand the many good reasons to present smaller focused collections, but on the other hand, working for an extended time on this large set of images from a fairly small location and set of collectors allowed me (and likely others) to gain experience and improve the quality of my transcriptions. I'd love to review and update the ones I did in my first months here based on what I know now. I know how to answer (or find the answer to) lots of questions I had then. On the other hand, it'll be interesting to learn about a different variety of plants and different collectors.

I'll also miss the super-clean and efficient interface here. Especially the Talk side of it. Clearly the point of the project is to have people spend their time doing transcriptions, but for me the discussions are equally important. It takes time away from transcribing but also helps me learn to produce better results.

I know we have to move with the times, especially because it's inefficient to have different Zooniverse projects using different interfaces, but (despite its bugs occasionally locking us out) this one is beautifully designed with minimal clutter and minimal switching between mouse and keyboard.

Sigh. (Trying to talk myself into welcoming the interface changes.)

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

I second all those emotions!

In particular, I was unhappy with the way that the new interface abandons your work if you go back to the previous screen, and only shows a fairly small area of blown-up record.

Will this discussion board persist? Is it possible to migrate some of the 'reference' threads into the new one?

Posted

• md68135 by md68135 scientist

Hi,
    Thanks for your feedback and openness to the new interface. I know these changes are not always easy!

I share some of the same frustrations that you both have expressed. I have worked through the list of feedback and we are trying to figure out what we can change before the launch. We got about 60 responses. There are a lot of items that we need to attend to, but we still hope to launch the new site this week.

I am in the process of writing up a more detailed blog post about the state of things now.

Posted