Notes From Nature Talk

suggestions for interface transition

• am.zooni by am.zooni

The latest blog post says "Some of you may be wondering if there will be a gap where NFN will be completely inactive before the new site launches. We intend to minimize any such gap by uploading some small images sets on to the site as needed."

Suggestion 1: if you have already run the transcriptions through the matching algorithm (or whatever you call it) and can identify a set with poor consensus, how about reposting them to run them past a few new sets of eyes?

Suggestion 2: (actually, for pre-transition stage) the ornithology project is furthest from completion. I've been intimidated away from it because the pages seem huge and I almost never have large blocks of time to spend here at NfN. But maybe I've jumped to a mistaken conclusion and there is a way to contribute something useful in 10-15 minute phases, such as save-and-resume-work-later. Is there a tutorial or FAQ or something to explain how to work on the ornithology project?

am.zooni, trying not to be nervous about the interface changes because this one works so well for me (except when it doesn't work at all!)

Posted

• md68135 by md68135 scientist in response to am.zooni's comment.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I like suggestion one as well, but so far we don't have a lot of records that have these issues identified. That is a good thing!
    As for the two, I completely understand. Completing a whole page can be a lot of time depending on the page. The average is about 15 minuets.
    Here is a YouTube video that might help as well:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pYlUmGxCOs

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57 in response to am.zooni's comment.

Agree... I've gotten used to this one, feel a bit apprehensive about it changing especially if we lose the keyboard shortcuts.

My one massive problem with Ornithology was the way that you couldn't save an in-progress page and come back to it. It means I can't use odds and ends of time while I'm waiting for something, like I have for other projects.

BTW have ideas from this User Interface Positivity thread been seen, as well as the different 'bugs and enhancements' threads?

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni

What are these mysterious keyboard shortcuts? Have I been using more effort / time than necessary due to my ignorance?

Posted

• md68135 by md68135 scientist in response to HelenBennett57's comment.

@HelenBennett57
    I am so glad that you mentioned those threads. I was realizing today that I need to go back through those to make sure we have covered everything.

Posted