Notes From Nature Talk

Resuming a transcription

• md68135 by md68135 scientist

Hi All,
    This topic has come up a few times so I thought I would share a few thoughts about the issues. I see two general scenarios for this. Please let me know if you can think of others.

The first is when you want to ask a question of get a clarification about a transcription (or part of one). Once a question is answered or issue is addressed then you would go back and fix or otherwise add to the transcription.

The second would be that mistakenly don't finish or are bumped out for some reason and want to finish it.

It seems like #1 is the more common occurrence. We have plans to test out a transcribe once and validate scenario which could help with this since the transcription could be completed as part of the validate process. For #2 it might be slightly more complicated since the image would have to be completed in some period of time before it was "retired" (pulled out of the queue because it is finished). That assumes that the image is given to someone else to complete under the transcribe once validate scenario.

We will be testing these out, but it could be some time before a final decision is made. Thank you all for your comments and please feel free to share your thoughts.

Posted

• Raptor8 by Raptor8

Hello, I guess it depends on how many people are transcribing. If there aren't that many people working on a collection, and they're all quite dedicated to getting it right, then #1 makes more sense. I understood that the process of creating a 'validated' record involves showing the same transcription to multiple people, and that this produces very accurate results, is that correct? Can you obtain stats for individual users to let us know how accurate (or not!) we actually are? If active transcribers are all fairly accurate and can be 'trusted' to highlight suspected errors for checking, then again #1 seems a good idea.

Posted

• CharlotteBio by CharlotteBio

For me #2 is definitely the more frequent problem and therefore important - sometimes I press a wrong key and I am gone. Is there any way to call up a list of files (particularly those ones that haven't been "Finished" upon completion?

Posted

Oh - and great to have your thoughts here!

Posted

• am.zooni by am.zooni

Well that's odd. I never got dumped out in the middle of a Herbarium transcription before, but it just happened to me. I don't know why - perhaps I pressed some key unintentionally and without realizing it. The image I was transcribing just disappeared and was replaced by a different one with the 'start transcribing' overlay you get when you first log in.

Posted

What is happening with the counter of completed pages - I have been doing 1 or 2 pages a day (as well as the odd page that I have been dumped out of due to wrong key or my browser shutting down) but my scores haven't change in the interim. The score says the number of pages completed is 6 days old.

Posted