Notes From Nature Talk

News and Future Developments

• md68135 by md68135 scientist

Hi All,

The science team is well aware that there are a number issues that need to be addressed on Notes From Nature and we appreciate you bringing them to our attention.

We have some very good news that will help to address some of these issues. We have a developer hired who will be begin work this month on Notes From Nature. This will allow us to make so much needed improvements to the interfaces. We will be going through bug reports, your comments and Talk posts as part of this process.

We are very interested in making improvements that make the user experience better! Please feel free to post replies here with your thoughts about enhancements, bugs, opinions or whatever. Linking to your previous comments works well too.

All the best and thank you.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Pinning and featuring; everyone should see this!

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

Excellent! How about we get to vote or at least comment on the priority of changes and fixes?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

What would you guys think about my creating a megathread for each project so that we can consolidate everything that needs to be done/fixed/answered on each?

One each for Herbarium, Calbug, Ornithological, and Macrofungi ... ?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Done. They're all in the bug reports board.

This way, we'll have a consolidated list of stuff to give the new developer when he/she arrives, and a place for him/her to ask questions if he/she needs clarification.

Go ahead and post! 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

You're welcome! It will be really useful to have a full list of stuff to bring to NFN's new dev.

Thanks to everyone here for contributing the reports!

Posted

• CharlotteBio by CharlotteBio

Has there been any news, progress or developments following the developer you notified had been hired 3 months ago?

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

He's implemented pan and zoom in macrofungi, which is ace. Blog post

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin in response to CharlotteBio's comment.

YES! We have a developer on board but he is working only 20% (one day a week) on Notes from Nature. Even so, he has helped with implementing zoom and getting new SERNEC images and the Calbug-Expeditions new collection set up. Small steps but he has only been working effectively 10 days total so far on the project given his one day a week effort. I think it has made a difference!

Posted

• CharlesGardner by CharlesGardner

1. How about adding a comment to each entry, to allow notes from the key entry person
    2. How can I find out of the ones I personally entered are getting accepted. Once logged in, it should have a track of which ones got rejected and why...
    3. If I push the "skip record" after trying to enter a field or two, the count of number transcribed still gets incremented.

Posted

• bonniefowler by bonniefowler

Is it possible to go back to a record once it has been "finished"? For instance, if you were intending to double check what you listed in the Location field, but you are using the enter button to advance through the fields and then after you enter the Date (which I believe is the last field) it advances you to the next record... Is there any way to go back to the previous record you were just working on?

Posted

• md68135 by md68135 scientist in response to bonniefowler's comment.

Hi @bonniefowler,
    Unfortunately it is not possible to do this. It has been requested a lot and is something that we are going to revisit when the new version of Notes From Nature launches in the spring.

Posted

• bonniefowler by bonniefowler

Ok, sounds good. Thank you

Posted