Notes From Nature Talk

Collectors

• majortim by majortim

Some of your might, like I do, wonder who these people actually are, who collected the specimens.
    Let's discover what's behind the names.

Entomologists

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

Wayne R. Faircloth's obituary, which is something of a shock after transcribing so many of his cards: http://ww2.valdosta.edu/~rcarter/Faircloth_obit.PDF

Dr Beatrice Nevins was Wayne R. Faircloth's teacher, and the obituary was written by Richard Carter ( http://ww2.valdosta.edu/~rcarter/ )

Posted

• joanball by joanball scientist

That's great!

Posted

• reddder by reddder in response to joanball's comment.

you know what would even be gr8ter? someone answering the questions from users pointing out problems in your data processing and other areas that need fixing. it's like talking to a wall.

Posted

• joanball by joanball scientist

I'm sorry about the frustrations that you and others have. The project obviously has some issues that need to be addressed. We are limited by lack of programmer time and funding right now. I've been recently going through and answering what I can, as I personally have been away for awhile. Many of the scientists don't have answers to the website bugs questions, but will continue letting others know about the issues.

Despite the problems, we have gotten great data and Calbug just uploaded a large batch of data from NfN to our own database (28,000 records) after successfully completing the data checking process (and finding consensus among 4 transcriptions). The transcribers are doing excellent work, and we really appreciate it. Your time has not been wasted in that we are getting the data and using it. However, we are aware that there are many improvements that could make data entry more efficient. We are keeping track of these things.

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57 in response to joanball's comment.

I really do appreciate hearing back from someone - it brings motivation back to life like, ooh I dunno, a freshly-watered sedge 😃 Thank you.

Maybe the next hackathon could focus on bug fixes and UI improvements that have been raised in these threads?

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy in response to HelenBennett57's comment.

I found Robert K. Godfrey's obituary here while searching for unrelated info. He lived from 1911-2000, a good long life.

Posted

• robgur by robgur scientist, admin

What a great thing to get to read! Thanks for putting it here.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy in response to robgur's comment.

You're welcome... er... if it was directed at me :^)

I stumbled across this Valdosta page with photos and profiles of Richard Carter and Robert Kral among others. Richard Carter's includes a link to his personal page.

Posted