Notes From Nature Talk

Seen anything particularly cool lately?

• DZM by DZM admin

Hey, Notes folks! A chance to give your project a little extra publicity...

It's been a while since we've featured any NfN stuff on Daily Zoo. I'd like to give Grant, who runs that, a suggestion or two of an object or something that is really standout, something that might impress even someone who doesn't know much about the project.

Got any ideas?

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Whoever said botany was risk-free was wrong. Sometimes collectors have to go above and beyond to get their specimens (there are other tags with this "associate" in them as well.)

Philip E. Hyatt is known for adding all sorts of zany extraneous commentary to his specimen tags, but I found this one touching

I also found this one touching as it's a specimen tag in the form of a very polite letter. Made it challenging to extract the required info from it too.

Oh, and you probably won't want to feature this one but it is funny enough nonetheless to require a mention.. 😄 There are some interesting place names in the South.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

These are FANTASTIC. Thank you!!

EDIT: I must be missing it... What's unique about the second (Hyatt) one? (Thanks for helping me out!)

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy in response to DZM's comment.

re: I must be missing it... What's unique about the second (Hyatt) one? (Thanks for helping me out!)

"Son of Richard E. Hyatt (1941-1999)" Tag is from May 1999 which is early enough in the year that the loss of his father must have been recent, and he was only 58 when he died which is too young, so it was possibly sudden and unexpected. Thus his son was still grieving and sought to preserve his father's memory however he could...

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Ahh! That is touching. Nice find.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Thanks... glad you liked them. :^)

Posted