Notes From Nature Talk

multiple scientific name

• tapeats by tapeats

Hi! This is my first post, and my English is not the best, so please excuse any mistakes.
    However, it is not the first time that I have two labels: One with the originally given name and a second one where the scientific name is changed. I decided to mark it with the hashtag #renamed, until I know how to do it better.
    Until now, I took the newer name as scientific name and and wrote additionally in the field "habitat and description" like the following: "originally detected as Scleria hirtella; renamed by Richard Carter in 2011". Is this ok or how should I/we proceed in these cases?
    Many thanks for any advices!

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Hi tapeats. Your English is fine by the way. :^)

All that is required is to transcribe the latest scientific name, if it can be determined to be so by the dates provided. Otherwise transcribe the original. Please give this a read as it details the transcription standards (including this one) which will make this much easier.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Welcome to Floating Forests Talk, @tapeats! Thanks for being a part of the project, and a very good question! And, yes, your English is fine. 😃

Posted

• tapeats by tapeats

Tank you 😉
    @ Mr. Kewy: This is exactly what I was looking for and anwers some other questions! I'll put it into my bookmarks.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy in response to tapeats's comment.

You're welcome. :^) Glad to have pointed it out... it's very useful. (Oh and no need to start a Discussion post for multiple names as long as it's apparent which is the latest; others will follow the same convention.)

Posted