Notes From Nature Talk

Scientific names

• Rose_Queen by Rose_Queen

A number of the records I've transcribed so far have parenthetical material after the scientific name, and I don't know whether this is a valid part of the name to be recorded, or if it should not be transcribed. In this record, I mean the (S) and the abbreviations following. Advice? TIA!

Posted

Oh, and where does "Leguminosae" at the top of the card go, if anywhere?

Posted

• riskingraisin by riskingraisin

The parenthetical information is the name or an abbreviation for the name of the botanist who first described the species. You do not need to include it. When Notes from Nature started there was a special field for it, but since that information can be easily pulled from a database once you have the species name they decided it wasn't necessary to have us key it in.

Leguminosae is the name of the taxonomic family that this specimen is in, which you do not need to enter. This is a higher taxonomic level, and once you enter the genus and species (the "Latin name"), they will know what family it's in. You can tell what is a family name because they all end with "-aceae" (or sometimes just "-ae," before it was standardized-the modern name for this family is Fabaceae).

Posted

Thank you!

Posted

• riskingraisin by riskingraisin

If you want more information about the species "author," check out this article, or for lots of details this site.

Posted

Very interesting, riskingraisin - I appreciate your posting this!

Posted